Uno, doue, tres, Capitone!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria
June 17th 2007
Published: June 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sam and Larissa have finally arrived in Italy! After a week of trying (and failing) to leave Barcelona we managed to escape. Once again train porblems were our hinderance. Therefore, on a saurday night we ended up in buzzing Barcelona, kicked out of the train station and without a place to sleep. As we were in a run down, industrial area of the city we decided to lug our bags around with us into the centre of busier Barcelona. There we would try to wait out the sunrise and reopening of the train station. Or, this was our plan.

This is the way in which Samantha and Larissa found themselves on a park bench in the middle of Las Ramblas at three in the morning. In order to prevent the extreme tiredness that was setting in, to disuade strange people that kept approaching them, and to prevent deft fingered bag snatchers on the packnapping prowl, a bench warming rotation schedule was adhered to.

Dejectedly sitting on a worn out bench with their encumbering luggage, S & L were subject to stares from passerbyers. At an exceptionally low point in the evening, one lady even scornfully laughed at them. Then, as if by supernatural transcendance a young man appeared in front of them and asked if they were stranded. Their pathetic response inspired a myriad of kindness and shelter. Cecil snuck them back into his hostel and supplied them with pillows and sheets and the couches in the hostel common room.

The next two evenings we were lucky to find last minute cancellations at one hostel. On our last night, after giving our room away, one hotel even gave us their non-used pent house apartment complete with two terraces overlooking the Barcelona skyline as compensation for their mistake!

The next day we gingerely stepped onto the train disbelieving that we were actually on our way to Italy. Everyone had told us that once we were in Barcelona we would never want to leave but we actually couldn't leave!

To our delight we arrived in Siena, Tuscany unmaimed and without travelling complications. Unfortunately upon arrival we discovered that the Canadian-Italian bank system was down and no Canadians were able to withdraw any money. Armed with only twenty one cents and without a Euro to call our own, we managed to scrape by the next couple of days and even caught some free bus rides in the centre of Siena. 😊

Siena is a medieval town in the heart of Tuscany. Walking down the corkscrew coiled streets it is almost impossible to relocate the same landmark twice. Though the tall stone houses make it impossible to tell the direction the next curved street will lead you in, they provide generous shade from the sweltering heat. Tourists and clotheslines alike are grateful for the slight breezes that filter through the roads. At midday, a colourful palette of fabrics can be seen decorating the cool cement walkways. Drying clothes stream from the windows while townspeople seek refuge in the cool shadows of buildings. Melting Gelato drips and gathers in little puddles before slipping between the hot cobblestones and staining them with colour.

We spent our next few days there climbing the Torre del Mangia (a 500 foot tower which winds it's way up to exceptional views of the tuscan countryside). Marveling at the expansive wheat fields and olive groves from above, we decided to explore the surrounding provinces by bike the next day.

We also checked out Duomo, a gigantic marble church and hunted for the basiclica where Saint Catherine's head is perserved on display but ended up lost in the twisty streets and sidetracked by other surprises.

Training to Cinque Terre proved another amusement as we met a grandfather and his grandson and tried to communicate with each other using a mixture of broken English/ Italian and dramatic hand gestures.

We arrived in Levanto which is a little seaside town right outside of the five villages. It's stunning here and we spent our first day exploring the beach, it's coves and little shops. We have fallen in love with Galatin (Levanto's specialty) which are baked spinach pastries.

Yesterday we took a train into Vernazza (one of the 5 villages) and began our hike through the mountains and along the coast, stopping in each village for some Italian food. The journey was difficult at soem points being completely uphill but the view was absolutely incredible. It is one of the most beautiful things either of us has ever seen. The houses are built ontop of each other and lean out to sea as if in the middle of a precarious balancing act.

Coming back from our trek we were exhausted and hot so we wet down to the ocean and swam for an hour before grabbing a panini at a local cantine. Wow...this is the life!

We've uploaded some pictures but it's impossible to capture the beauty of this place! In the pictures the texture of the salty mist is not present. The neverending meditteranean waters seem stilted wihin the photos and there is an absence of their crashing sound onto the rocks and cliffs below. We can only hope that we've conjured up half of the beauty and written imagery of these wonders and that they can be translated through words. If anyone is planning on visiting Italy do not miss a stop to this area.

Ciao Bellas (and o's?),
We love you and miss you. Thanks for your letters and notes.

Happy Father's Day to the Peters!! (Tato and Diiiiiaaad) я люблю тебе. I love you.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



18th June 2007

hello lucky travellers
So lucky that you are meeting these people to put you up at night..I love the description of you both falling asleep on the park bench..what an adventure. The food, scenery and people you are meeting is all quite amazing for you but I am starting to miss you quite a bit. The first month in a half went so fast as I am sure the second half will as well. So glad that you are both having such a fab time and it is great to hear your voice on the phone. You sound so mature, the seasoned traveler. I love love love you and happy travels.
19th June 2007

Back from Toronto
Hi, Samantha, just back from the "Big Smoke" as it is called. Had a great holiday with Donald and Liz and Declan. We read your blog with avid interest and glad you like Italy. Love the photos. Keep having a great time. Love, Nana
19th June 2007

ohh man
sam these pictures are absaloutly amazing. my summer has just begunn finally. i cant wait to see you and hear mre about your tripp i love you and miss you sarah
26th June 2007

Italian Hobos or Gypsies Maybe??
What's with all the sleeping in parks and train stations? Have you girls become hobos or perhaps you've taken after the Romas and become wandering Gypsies?? Okay, I know I told you not to call if you needed money but if you are really Down and Out in Paris and London (a book you should read by the way...it's by George Orwell), I would rather break my piggy bank than see you sleeping in dirty pigeon-infested parks and being scorned and mocked by Italian matrons. Seriously though, it seems like you're having some serious fun and adventure, which is the whole point of travel...I can only hope you don't have serious "lunchbag letdown" when you return to boring old Ottawa. Love, PE
3rd July 2007

UP-DATE TIME!
Hey, Hey, Samantha May time for some up-todate news today! I tried to send you Happy Canada Day Greetings...but it didn't go for some reason. beyond my technical knowledge. Had a great day up at the cottage, loon, occasional rain drops...but a beautiful bonus rainbow. Lovely sunny day predicted for today...hope it is same in your part of the world. Love, Nana
6th July 2007

Whatz up girlfriend!
Lariss, It seems like you are having a blast.. I am so jealous. I got your email address from your mom and couldn't stop reading ( I was doing it at work and wasted half my day reading... dont tell my boss that!) I am so glad to hear you are safe and you and Sam are having an amazing time. Eat some fresh pastry for me and be sure to take it all in while you are because who knows when you will return! Love marsh (and jer)

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb