Cinque Terre


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria » Cinque Terre
April 21st 2007
Published: March 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 1
Long day of delays - first at the airport (Ryan air does it again!), then just missing connecting trains to the Cinque Terre. Finally got to Manarola at about 8pm with the four of us staying at the Ostello Cinque Terre with a private bathroom. Dinner was at the hostel restaurant where we all had variations of pizza or pasta with pesto, which was the best I've ever eaten.
Day 2
Walked part of the Cinque Terre (No 2 path) to Riomaggiore (via dell'amore) then after a quick ice-cream, we went up the hill behind the town to the sanctuary Madonna di Montenero. Views from here were spectacular. Back to Riomaggiore for a quick dip in the freezing sea before heading back to Manarola for a seafood dinner after watching the sun set.
Day 3
Loaded up everyone's backpacks to walk the rest of the path north to Monterosso. Lots of stairs - the kids started counting them after leaving Corniglia and gave up when they reached 700! Tough day for the kids but at least they didn't bicker too much - they were too tired from walking up and down to each town along the path. Quick bite to eat followed by ice-cream in Vernazza before heading onto the final leg. Great views through the trees and along exposed paths. Passed quite a few people although I think we were the only ones stupid enough to be carrying our packs the whole way! Also picked up some limoncello along the way from an old guy selling his wares at his farm. Finally made it to Monterosso where we caught the train to Levanto, which would be our base for the next couple of days.
Day 4
Walked from Levanto back to Monterosso - very glad we walked the route this way because there were thousands of steps leading up from Monterosso - didn't really fancy that much! Explored Levanto when we got back - they have the most fantastic paint jobs on the outside of the houses in the main street.
Day 5
Rest day in Portofino - what trip to the Italian riviera would be complete without the obligatory visit here. Caught the train up to Santa Margherita (the closest rail station), then walked the 4km to Portofino. Didn't really rate the place much - very expensive and the locals were a bit rude. Had our photo
PortofinoPortofinoPortofino

Snobbiest place on earth!
taken at the end of the harbour pier which my mum pointed out was the exact same place featured in an episode of the "Bold and the Beautiful". Don't know what is more embarrassing - the fact my mum was excited she knew where we had been, or the fact that I vaguely remember watching that episode!
Day 6
Final day in Levanto which Rod wanted to spend walking (what a surprise!) After finally promising it would be a short walk to the first village up the hill, followed by a swim, we all set out. Little did we know Rod had plans to get us to the top. A 1 1/2hr walk turned into 4hrs as we trudged up the top of yet another mountain, but worth it the end. Got lost and scratched up going bush to find the missing path but discovered some interesting places along the way.
Day 7
Left Levanto early to catch the train to Pisa. Hottest day of our trip so we dumped our stuff at the hotel and went for a wander round the town. Everything is within walking distance but there was not really much to see other than the Tower and associated buildings. Of course we went up which felt a bit weird because as you walked up the steps on one side you actually felt as if you were going down. All the buildings sloped in some way so your perception was a bit out of wack. Dinner was at a pizzerie recommended by the girl on reception. It was tucked away in a little courtyard off Via Pietro Gori. Fantastic food - the pizzas were so big they were put on special trays that sat above the table so you had room to eat. One final ice-cream at the cnr of Corso Italia and Piazza Vitorio (I can't recommend this place highly enough) before bed and early flight back home.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0848s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb