Day 15 - In Rome - but no Vatican or Sistine Chapel, except at a distance :(


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
October 24th 2013
Published: November 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After in-house lovely continental breakfast, it was off to the Colosseum. We were fortunate it was early and no long queues. What an amazing structure! Roy relived every moment of every novel he has ever read about the Romans! and think Greg imagined himself as a gladiator too. We joined the hop on hop off bus and did the full circuit before conducting our own walking/metro tour of the city. We looked at ruins, the spectacular Monumento a Vittoria Emanuele II, walked the Spanish Steps, went to the Pantheon, and threw coins into the Trivi Fountain. Oh gosh, that was a wonderful moment, to actually be there and see the truly wonderful fountain I had seen in movies and on a jigsaw puzzle! I made the comment that the artist did a superb job on the statues and that the detail was amazing and you could almost imagine the muscles the legs moving - and that if it was in Las Vegas they probably would!! Okay, it was funny at the time!

Though we had enjoyed a couple of refreshment stops to use the toiletta, Irene needed a loo and Nath said he was sure the Pope would have plenty of bathrooms, as we headed towards the Vatican. We didn't have the opportunity to look because when we arrived, in the rain, via the metro at 3.40 our luck ran out because the queues were so long they shut off entry to the Citta Del Vaticano so were unable to see inside the Vatican and Sistine Chapel. Gutted! especially when we boarded our bus and an Irish woman and her Mum said they were in the Basilica - they were just a little way ahead of us in the line - when guards stood in front of them and the Pope walked passed. Lucky them! But we had to be content with the spectacular architecture from the outside. Bit devastated not to see the frescoes of the Sistine Chapel. I tried to lighten the mood be being one of the living statues that don't move, but couldn't stop laughing so won't be giving up my day job any time soon. We have all learnt that once you start on a pedestrian crossing, don't stop, brave it and keep walking and the drivers will give way. Otherwise, you could stand at the side of the road forever! We headed home via the supermarket and sat outside in our little courtyard planning, over drinks and nibbles, our day tomorrow, when we head off to begin our seven day cruise. The idea of dinner out faded as Greg and Irene headed back to their accommodation, Nath and Brendan headed out to a club and Roy curled up and began snoring. There is so much more to see in Rome but just no more time. We are so lucky to have seen what we have.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb