Etruscan's and some much needed walking!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 27th 2011
Published: September 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

First of, i am out of shape, i need to walk, but it really is tireing... And i need the walking now more than ever, since i found a "big" conviniant store just around the corner from where we live. And get this, the sell; Pepsi Twist! It has been so many years since i drank it... so i might have to buy their stock and send it home with mom and dad.... true story!

But that is not what this blog is about, it's about art, history, walking.... and some great companions!

After our regular breakfast at the hotel, me, Jase and the others who stay at the Navona hotel walked over to the "girls" hotel. From there we were to take the longest walks of this trip so far. First we got a small glimpse of St.Peters, but the Pope will have to wait until Thursday for our visit! I sure hope he has some Pepsi Twist to offer us when we dine with him....
But after a long walk along the river of Tiber, we arrived to Villa Guilia (Julia). At first look i just thought it was a regular house, which it used to be, for Pope Julius III... But now his house and gardens had been transformed to the biggest Etruscan museum.

He sure had a beautiful garden, wow, the fountain in the back was simply breathtaking! Mom and dad, if you read this, start the plans for it so we can start building next spring! 😊

Inside the museum/house, we found a number of Greek bought/influenced vases. Black, Orange, and simply beautiful. Depicting mythological scenes which you have only seen in textbooks before. And on the top level, kind of slightly hidden, he stood: Apollo of Veii!

Such grace, movement, and elegance he shows! I only wish that he could still have his bow, hanging from his left hand, that surely would have made him even more famous, and dangerous looking! But time has it's toll i guess.

Outside, Ashley almost stepped on what could be the coolest snail ever! It had spots and stripes like a cheetah, but clearly it was a slug. Picture is here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150305638222691&set=a.10150305634737691.339112.615042690&type=1&theater
What a shame it would have been if she had stepped on it!

Next, we took the metro, where i had a chat with two Swedes, one whom almost got stuck in the door to the metro, lucky that we Swedes are small and agile! We discussed the downfall of Halmstads BK, my local soccer/football club who just fell out of the top division... It's sad that Halmstads BK is everything people think about right now when i say i'm from there... but oh well!
Speaking quickly a little more about soccer/football, IF Centern, where i play, has only a small chance to stay in Division 4, i will surely hope for their success on saturday!

But back to the metro, or after the metro i should say. I think we climbed one of the 7 hills of rome today, even it felt like a mountain. Up here we sat on the steppes to St. Maria della Vittoria, waiting for the clock to be 15.30 so that we could come in and see the Ecstasy of St. Theresa. Which we did, and it was awesome!
But here is a little problem with Rome today, the Sacristy, the innermost sanctum of the church, had been turned into a giftshop... people selling in the heart of the church... kind made you feel weird inside... Also us tourists, taking pictures of the altar, while people tried to pray... ugh i felt weird.
Here i lit a fake candle (all that they had) for Stefan Liv, may he rest in peace, he will always be missed.

Next we walked back to the metro, went on the train towards a station closer to the coliseum. Here we entered Santa Maria Maggiore. A church, build on a 4th century church, built upon a 3rd century church, built upon a temple from the 1st century. Wow, it was quite a sensation walking down, and down, and down to get to the bottom and seeing house walls from that long ago! Well up in the church again, i lit a candle, a real one too, again for Stefan Liv, and the rest of Lokomotivs Team. Such tradgedy can never be too much mourned.

After followed a long walk back, with some gelatto, Yummy!
Now i am going to find some food, and then try to get back into our appartment, sucks not having a key!
Ciao Bellos!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb