Arriving, Hotel and a whooooole bunch of lovely sculptures! Days 1 and 2


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 25th 2011
Published: September 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 1
Wow, there are few things that i have seen that can measure up to what i have seen here in Rome during our first 2 days here.

Where to begin, well let's start at the Copenhagen airport where i had to say goodbye to Ida for 2 months. It was sad, but 2 months is nothing! So everything went as it should in Copenhagen, no delays or nothing.

Trip to Brussels was a little boring though, no food nor beverages was served so the tummy got a little rumbly. But nothing that a little sleep would cure. Too bad for the other people in the plane is that i snore like a boar in an Airplane. I might sleep loudly in a bed, but it's nothing compared to how i sound in an airplane.

Well at Brussels i cured my hunger with a Muffin courtesy of Starbucks, and then i was good until arriving in Italy.
Flight to Fiuminco, Rome, was just as boring and just as empty of food as the first flight, but this time, the flight was longer...

Finally, arriving in Rome, i feel suddenly when exiting the plane that sweats, are not the type of clothing that should be worn... neither for style nor of the heat. My bag was the first to come of the belt, so that felt pretty good, now all i had to do was to find my Alliance buddies. Easier done than said, outside of the arrival i bump in to Jase and Katilyn. Here follows about 2+ hours of wating, running around, waiting, sitting, standing, riding on a train, walking, being cramped on a bus with 50 other people, walking, and then finally finding our hotel.

What happened next was plain meet and greet and regular vacation stuff; getting settled into our hotel and such. Then, around 9pm it was time for some loooooong awaited dinner. And when in Rome, nothing suits you better than a nice, round, Pizza! Mozzarella, Parma Ham, Garlic, Tomatoes, and Oregano... mmmmmmmmm delicious!

Day 2
What a way to start the morning. Me and Jase woke up at 7, had a little chat and decided to go down to breakfast at 7.30... well those plans where scratched because we live in the "other" apartment to the hotel, we couldn't eat until 8.30. But that didn't bother us at all, instead we made our way to Piazzo Navona to get some un-crowded pictures of this beautiful town square. Three fountains stands here, two smaller and then in the middle, Bernini's Four Rivers. It was magnificent to look at, and even better was to get all the pictures without having to wrestle with all the other tourists just to get a good picture.
Then we strolled back and got our breakfast and then joined up with the rest of the group to go to the Roman Forum and the Musei Capitolini (!).

The Musei, was unbelievable! Statues and Busts that you have only read about and seen pictures of in our textbooks where lining up, one by one, just to be watched by us. Simply amazing! The highlight of the Musei was Constantine the Greats giant statue, and 'The dying Gaul'. One of my favorite art history pieces ever was just lying there dying in front of me. Wow, what a day!
It was also very impressive to actually get to see the 'Trajans Column'. It was bigger than i thought, and even more impressive that it was just sitting there in the middle of the city, just minding it's own business. We got a quick glimpse of the coliseum, which we'll visit tomorrow, and me and Jase stood outside, but did not want to wait in line for, the Pantheon. Both of these will be visited in the week to follow 😊

But later me and Jase would find ourselves inside the Pantheon anyway, but first we took a smaller tour with the group, but what a tour that was! We started walking towards the Trevi Fountain. That sounded nice i thought, not fully remembering what that was. Halfway there we stopped to look at today's second Column, that of Constantine. This looked just the same as Trajans, but it was even more centrally placed.

5 minutes later we could hear the water pouring and people talking, and the next thing we knew, we were standing in front of the Trevi fountain. The four rivers might have been impressing, but the Trevi was really something else! Neptune being pulled forward in his clam chariot was just giving of energy that could not be met. Words cannot discribe it enough, so there will be pictures up!

Next we took a small trip south and found ourselves, once again, outside the mighty Pantheon. Just to cross the threshold of that church, you suddenly felt really small.... I have seen the Pantheon in films and in games, but i never thought that it would feel so great to actually be inside of it. Just simply amazing!

Preparing for tomorrow now, when we are visiting the Roman Forum and the Coliseum, can't wait!
Ciaaaaao!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0147s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb