Pantheon Decorations look like star origamis


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
August 29th 2011
Published: September 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Mary and I headed out for the Vatican and met the Aussies in the center plaza. We walked through the church, saw the tomb of St. Peter and climbed up the dome for a view of Vatican City. The corridors on this one were quick small, so if you are claustrophobic, I would advise against the ascent.
We walked back through Rome to hit the Pantheon. It is a really cool temple that depicts what I imagined Roman buildings to look like. Inside, we sat for a while and noted how some of the decorations were quite similar to some of the things one might buy from street vendors on the way home from a good night at Sloppys. Perhaps the priest went on a shopping spree. As we are laughing, an announcement came on about being silent, so we left.
We hit the Trevi fountain to make our love wishes and toss in a coin. I believe the Trevi fountain was built in the 1700s to celebrate the reopening of the ancient aqueducts. Seems a little extravagant.
For dinner we got burgers, fries and beer at a side street restaurant. Here we were told straight up from our waiter that Italian men have more sex with tourists than native Italians. What sleeze balls!
We sat at the Coliseum for the rest of the evening, people watching of course. There was a group of 4 girls, probably late 20s or early 30s, who were doing a really cheesy photo shoot of themselves. It was quite comical. We also dubbed in the words to an Italian couple fighting: they were arguing about how she took the last piece of pepperoni pizza at dinner and he really wanted it. Amoreā€¦


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb