Roma


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
February 10th 2011
Published: February 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Rome today. First breakfast, love that cheese and then some custard and almond shortcake! We checked out, difficult to shake Dennis, he was just wanting to be helpful, he did opack us some leftover breaskfast things for our lunch though! Decided to walk to the car rather than negotiate the narrow lanes. Out of Siena, next stop Montalicino. Walked up to the walled city, find the fortress and climbed up to the top (you enter via a wine bar!) for some views over the town. Bought a small bottle of Grappa on the way back down, and out! Montelpulciano, another hilltop town, is next. We walk up to the square and then have our packed lunch overlooking the valleys. Now to Rome, about 120ks to go. Flying down the highway & I miss the turnoff, doing 150 in the fast lane, oops. We stop for petrol and head another 20ks or so to the next exit. In the meantime some guy has totalled his Porsche and the whole 3 lanes are blocked, we have come to a standstill. 18ks later we take another exit to Rome and get on the ring road, the wrong direction, peak hour, gridlock, not looking good for our 6:30 drop off, we are now the opposite side of the city from where we need to be! Decide to find an airport, C......, no sign of hire car places anywhere, its about the size of Launceston. I park, illegally and look in the terminals, find information, get directions and then accidentally get back on the highway, but get back quickly, the guy is very helpful and allows us to ditch the car there, damage and all. We head to taxi place and cause a heated argument as we go with a guy who speaks good english even though he isn't the front of the line, he and the guy who is first in line have quite a heated conversation which we understand none of. Unbelievable ride, at one point 3 police cars drive through the middle of 2 lanes only just missing us, he doesn't slow down or even flinch. We arrive, unscathed and quite entertained, I tip him 10 for the entertainment value. Check in to awesome little boutigue hotel and get to our spacious room which is on the top level with a balcony. Out for a quick bite, glass of Chianti and share a thin base napolitana pizza (anchovies and capers) before heading back for more Chianti and internet in the lounge.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb