1st Weekend- Tours!!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
January 27th 2008
Published: February 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

FIRST WEEKEND OF TOURS!!! We are finally allowed to see the city...It's about time!! We met in the classroom building at 9:00 SHARP on Friday morning. "It is the Saint Mary's Rome Program Policy to ALWAYS be on time...not 5 minutes late...Punctuality, Ladies, punctuality!!! 😉 PP & MH

On Friday, we toured the Roman Forum, Campo Marzio, and the Pantheon. The Roman Forum is ancient Rome's birthplace. It was the common ground between Rome's seven famous hills. Anything with any historical importance took place in this valley. Julius Caesar's body was dragged and cremated on this very site. We were able to see the Temple of Julius Caesar along with other temples dedicated to Roman Kings and Gods. Everywhere I looked I saw ruins! Snuffy and Nicolas Cage (nicknames for our tour guides/teachers) overwhelmed us with information on famous emperors, fearful warriors, mythological beings, and italian history. What an insightful experience in the Foro Romano!!

The Pantheon was pretty amazing. We learned from Nico that this structure was very advanced for its time. This ancient dome influenced the dome of St. Peter's! Raphael's funeral monument is located inside. The walls are covered in marble of all different colors. There is a large hole in the roof in the center of the building. The floor is shaped so that when it rains, the water flows to the edges of the building and the water then drains out. Today, Christian masses is held in the Pantheon.

We took a detour to the Piazza Colonna, which is where Parliament and the Prime Minister's house is located. (where I got lost)

On Saturday, we toured Palatine Hill and the Colosseum. Palatine Hill overlooks the Roman Forum and was the home of the emperors. The hill now contains a museum and provides a great view of Circus Maximus (where the chariot races were held).

We then visited the Colosseum. It was pretty much amazing! The Colosseum was built by the Flavian emperors to host the public games. Nico and Snuffy had opposing arguments as to whether or not Christians were actually crucified in this colossal stadium. We will never know...but to stand by Nico: There is a cross to represent the suffering endured my Christian victims.

Next, we explored the Jewish Ghetto.

On Sunday, Miss Hoffman guided us to the Vatican. St. Peter's Square is the largest open space I have ever been in. The square is just magnificent! No words can describe the inside of the Basilica. I was amazed as my eyes took hold of all of the gold art work. Gorgeous pieces of art, sculpture, architecture, oh my!! This is an experience I will never forget. We stayed for the 10:30AM mass which was in Latin. The fact that I didn't understand most of the mass didn't bother me. I was too intrigued by the 30+ priests parading in one after another to the altar... young and old- all dressed in different colors. Incense filled the church, and everyone around me was amazed by what was in front of them. I felt so small when I walked up the main aisle to receive communion. It was an overall breathe-taking experience. After mass, we walked outside to the square. We waited until noon to receive the weekly Angelis (blessing). Pope Benedict XVI aka: "The Rockstar" blessed the crowd in St. Peter's Square in about 10 different languages. That is why the Fam gave Pope Benedict XVI the name of Rockstar!



Additional photos below
Photos: 71, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

My tour group learning about the Arch of ConstantineMy tour group learning about the Arch of Constantine
My tour group learning about the Arch of Constantine

The greatest of the three surviving triumphal arches. Its inscription recalls the victory of Constantine over his rival Maxentius in 312 AD
Arch of Septimius SeverusArch of Septimius Severus
Arch of Septimius Severus

whose inscriptions bear the memory of an Imperial tragedy: dedicated in 203AD by the Emperor to himself and his children Geta and Caracalla. Geta was killed by his brother in a struggle for succession.


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb