Racing through the streets of Rome...


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
January 20th 2008
Published: January 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Taxi drivers (and drivers in general, but especially taxis) are insane. Not exaggerating. Being in a taxi here in Rome is like a rollercoaster ride, only you can't see what's next, and there is no guarantee for survival. You just have to ignore the fact that the driver just jumped across the center line into oncoming traffic because he couldn't find the brake pedal and concentrate on the fact that he is a professional. Even when the cars stay on the right side of the road, they are blind to the lane lines. I think maybe only Americans can see them because the Italians drive like it's a race. They zip around each other and only stop at the very last second possible without dying. Red lights are a mere suggestion, especially at night. I feel like I am in Mariocart or something, since the roads are basically a free-for-all and the cars are so tiny. We passed a mini cooper on the road, and it seemed way too big compared to the other cars!

Plus, then you get the really crazy drivers. Earlier tonight, we were finally able to hail a cab (which is illegal here...they're only supposed to wait at the designated taxi stands, you're not supposed to flag them down) and after going for a block the driver got a phone call, freaked out, and then kicked us out of the car. We were totally astounded. Then, when we stopped another cab in the middle of the street, he took us back and tried to overcharge us by about 5-7 euros, just because we were girls (and also probably because he thinks Americans are stupid)!

At least we were able to find a cab though. While we were waiting to spot one we had quite a few creepy men come and tell us that they were taxi drivers, or just as good, and they would drive us home. It is abolutely amazing the way that you tend to feel constantly harassed here. If it's not by guys like those, then it's by flower men, street vendors, or just random creepy guys who think all American girls are just like Paris Hilton: easy and idiotic.

That is not to say that there are not many very kind and friendly, or at least somewhat respectful people, it is just so completely different from what I am used to, which is people generally leaving you alone. I guess it's just going to take some adjusting.

Until next time,
Ciao!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb