Across the Tiber...


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
December 2nd 2006
Published: December 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Vatican museumVatican museumVatican museum

My favorite picture so far
On our last full day here in Rome, we decided to take a taxi over to Vatican City. It’s one of those places you just have to see if you’re going to come to Rome, I guess. We went to the museum first, since we figured it would only get busier as the day went on. Honestly, as much as I loved the Capitoline museum, the Vatican is far better. Every room in itself seemed to be a masterpiece. Some of the ceilings were just so intricate in their design, it’s hard to imagine they were designed by human hands. As for the Sistine chapel, yeah, it was amazing. There might have been one or two more rooms that struck me more impressive, but it is deserving of all the attention it receives. For some reason you couldn’t take pictures in there though. It’s got to be because of all the people in the room, as we’d probably all have our cameras aimed at the ceiling while bumping into one another and being pick-pocketed left and right. Every other room was fair game, though a lot of the picture we took came out a bit dark.

St. Peters, as should
Vatican museumVatican museumVatican museum

One of the many beautifully decorated ceilings
be no surprise, was grand. We sat in the square watching the pigeons and the people go by while eating what has to be the best ice cream in the world. As for the inside, it was much like all the other buildings we’ve been inside thus far. Ornate. Opulent. Magnificent, even. Everything was just so beautiful, you really just have to see it. Pictures aren’t enough. Words do even less justice.

Rome, all in all, has been a fun place to visit. I doubt it’s a place I could stay in for a lengthy amount of time, but I would enjoy coming back. After all, all we could get in was the biggest of the tourist attractions, and I know there’s a lot more to see and do here. The people, while not overtly friendly, weren’t all that bad. I guess it’s probably the same as in a place like New York City, where you’re always surrounded by people, and the pace of life is so much faster. Oh well. Tomorrow we’re off to Bari, and then to Greece. Stay tuned.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Vatican museumVatican museum
Vatican museum

more ceilings
Vatican museumVatican museum
Vatican museum

A coin featuring the man who retook Constantinople from the latins
St. PetersSt. Peters
St. Peters

People and pigeons
St. PetersSt. Peters
St. Peters

Juls in St. Pater's square


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb