Colosseum, Pantheon, etc.


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
November 30th 2006
Published: November 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This morning we headed for the Colosseum. Built by Vespasian in the 1st century AD, the arena has stood for almost two thousand years as a centerpiece in the city. From the outside it didn’t look as big as I had imagined it, but from within you really see just how massive it really is. We walked around the first level for a while, then decided to take the stairs to the second level instead of the elevator. The winded feeling we both got from that told us loud and clear that we ought to incorporate a little more exercise into our lives when we get back. Anyway, the view from the second level was really good, and gave me the feeling of sitting in the upper sections of Alltel back home watching a football game. I could only imagine what it would have been like to sit up there and watch some blood-spilling gladiatorial action.

After that we went back through the forum to get a better look. In the under-section of the Arch of Titus you can see the looting of the Temple after Titus’ sack of Jerusalem in 70 AD. And I found the column of Phocas! Actually, we not only saw it yesterday, but even had a picture of it! I just didn’t know what it looked like, but I do now. The only significance it has to me is that Phocas was one of the absolute worst Roman/Byzantine emperors, and I found it funny that he had a column dedicated to him in Rome.

We ended up at the Pantheon again, and this time got to go inside. And wow. If the world ever ran out of marble, this place might have some to spare. It was very ornate, very beautiful though. The dome really does seem like it’s just floating above you.

Not sure what’s on tap for tomorrow. We’ll figure it out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Arch of TitusArch of Titus
Arch of Titus

The scene depicting the relics of the Temple being carried off
Column of PhocasColumn of Phocas
Column of Phocas

Thought I'd add it


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb