Rome with 10-year-old Grandsons


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 24th 2023
Published: May 24th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Ready to FlyReady to FlyReady to Fly

We are ready for Rome
Our first flight was at 7am to Chicago so we got to the airport by 4:30am. As “Trusted Travelers” we sailed thru security. Of course, I’ve found that having no liquids or foods other than crackers, biscotti, muffins, is a major factor in getting thru easily. If we take a check bag, which we each get a free check bag, then everything questionable goes there.

Bekki joined us at the airport, as she only came up with Emilio. Her departure gate was right next to ours, so she saw us off.

Flights were long but Chicago was a nice break. We did not eat in Chicago though because we knew we’d get food soon on the flight, at least I was hoping I would. Gluten Free is always iffy, at least it was during Covid. Now, as per United, I can order 24 hr. before the flight. And, as it happened, Gluten Free food was an option, but I will call ahead from now on.

Because our flight landed in Rome at 8am, we couldn’t check into our hotel room right away, however, we were able to leave our luggage though and go off for the day. A tired day.

1st order of business for the boys was gelato. We found gelato and Emilio got 2 scoops while Fynn got 1. It really didn’t matter how many scoops; the cones were topped about equally high. Gelato was on the ground, on the clothes, on the face and hands.

2nd order of business was Iced Coffee at Tazzo d’Oro for Dale and I. This is the best in the world as far as we are concerned. Our favorite is a frozen coffee that is served with whipped cream on the bottom and on the top. I prefer ½ of the cream. The coffee is frozen and then scooped out into a cup.

The Tazzo d’Oro is just steps away from the Pantheon so kids ran around it between eating Cannoli. We were not able to get a reservation to get in as it was a weekend but the boys didn’t seem to care. I would have liked for them to see the inside but they will need to do that another time.

Walking back to the hotel, we found a little restaurant so the boys had their 1st real Italian pizza. There was excellent wine
Watch out!Watch out!Watch out!

Kids are in the cockpit
with gluten free Lasagna and gluteny Lasagna for Dale.

I didn’t know how the boys would react to all of the ruins. I love them, but not everyone is interested. But the boys actually enjoyed looking at them, especially, when there were cats residing in them.

When we left the hotel in the morning, we knew that thunderstorms were forecast for the afternoon but we didn’t think it would be so bad. Well, as we walked back to the hotel, the rain started, and then dumped down. Fortunately, I had a rain jacket so I could cover my camera, but the others, well they got drenched. And the boys, well, they jumped in the puddles, kicked water in the puddles and carried on. Who says that rain puddles are just for little kids?

It was an early night after hot showers. We were all tired!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb