Roman Deja Vu


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
June 16th 2018
Published: June 21st 2018
Edit Blog Post

I had a deja vu the morning we left for Rome. As in I've been to Rome before, just not with this husband. Jack had been to Rome prior to this day as well.

This was an in-between day for the cruise line, passengers leaving Encore in Rome and passengers coming onto Encore in Rome. Jack and I decided that we'd spend the day off the boat and away from the snarling logistics of the onboard folks. We'd make no "plan" for sightseeing in the eternal city other than the we would try to discover the paintings of Caravaggio and to eat gelato.

We were dropped off at St. Peter's Square and from there went by taxi to the French Cathedral St Louis to see the Caravaggio of the Selection of St Matthew. Then, we walked the Via Corso to the Cathedral of St. Maria del Popolo to see the Caravaggio's of The Crucifixion of St. Peter and The Conversion of Saul. Midway through our walking, Jack questioned if I'd give up the trek to Piazza del Popolo due to meeting our ride back to Encore. I told him we were treasure hunting and we WOULD find the Caravaggio's and we WOULD meet our ride, just in time!

We DID get gelato and took a quick glance at the Trevi Fountain. We, quite by happenstance, walked past the hotel where I first stayed in Rome, which has not changed at all! The end to our day was a nice washing of our hands in a small water fountain outside of the St. Peter's Square, something I'd done on my first trip to Rome.

Truly a love letter experience!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb