Ravenna


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Emilia-Romagna
January 24th 2010
Published: January 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Bologna a Ravenna


Today we took our first trip outside of Bologna. We went to the city of Ravenna, a small city about an hour and a half away by train. The city was absolutely adorable, and had it not been 10 degrees I probably would have greatly enjoyed it (also had i not had to get up at 7:30 on a saturday it would have been a better start to the day). There is a beautiful church, San Vitale, thats was made in the 500s. I stood inside a 1500 year old church. How many people can say that? It was absolutely amazing. However...not so amazing part, was that the church managed to be just as cold (or possibly colder) than outside. It was so so soooooo cold. I keep saying that. But it really did interfere with what could have been an amazing trip--because i just wanted to be inside. But even despite the cold, there was no way not to be amazed at basilica and it's mosaics. Words cannot due justice to the beauty that was there, but hopefully pictures can show some of it.

Ravenna is also famous because it was where Dante Aligheri was exiled to and died, so we got to see his tomb. It was beautiful.

By the time the tour ended it was 1:00, and all anyone could think of was getting somewhere warm and getting some food. We went to a local favorite place called Ca da Vin' where I got exceptional cheese raviolies and Bolognese sauce. Delicious.

After taking an exceptionially long time in the restaurant, we finally left but still had an hour until our train. Luckily the sun had come out and it warmed up a bit so Ravenna became infinitely more enjoyable. We had a pleasant last hour, but the majority of us caught the next train to get back to Bologna (mostly to sleep and relax).

Ravenna was a beautiful city that is definitely worth a stop, but there isn't a ton to do there, so it's really more of a day trip. However, if you are passing by the area it is definitely worth it to go see.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

MosaicsMosaics
Mosaics

Some of the beautiful mosaics
Dante's TombDante's Tomb
Dante's Tomb

Dante Aligheri's Musoleum


27th January 2010

Nice description
Now, I have another city to visit

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.079s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb