Sorrento Finally!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Sorrento
October 2nd 2011
Published: October 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Ponte VecchioThe Ponte VecchioThe Ponte Vecchio

And no, I didn't buy any jewellery on the bridge, or anywhere in Florence actually.
Well it has been a few day since our last confession, oops, I mean blog! We have visited so many churches I am confused!

We have moved on from Tuscany to Sorrento, back on the coast but more south than we were earlier in the trip, and back to seafood on the menus, yippee. I have never been so excited to see broccoli, as I was last night. After four weeks of the only sides on offer being chips, or occasionally actually roast potatoes, very bland salad (can’t get a caeser or greek, just mixed green salad with no dressing), and mixed grilled veges (eggplant, zucchini & capsicum usually). Broccoli in garlic was just the thing, with a beautiful steak. (one of only two good steaks that we have had – rarely do they have any sauce or gravy, so thin and dry steak with chips has been very bland) .

Our last day in Tuscany we visited Florence, and walked ourselves off our feet again. We visited the Uffizi (art gallery), it is enormous and mostly full of portraits, and religious iconic paintings from the 1400-1500’s. The church in Europe seems to have been the biggest supporter of
Museum of science ceilingMuseum of science ceilingMuseum of science ceiling

One of the few places we were allowed to photograph inside. We weren't actually visiting the museum of science intentionally, but looking for a ticket office for the Boboli Gardens. We were fascinated though by their timber anatomical skeletons from about the 1600's
the artists of the times, as all of the churches, government buildings and grand palaces were very much adorned with paintings covering walls and ceilings. Much of this gallery was dedicated to religious paintings, that have come from alters, and I think many painters of those times seemed to paint either portraits or biblical stories on a very grand scale. There were only 3 landscapes that we saw, and 2 were of Venice in the 1500’s and one actual landscape scene.

We tried to make it for sunset at the Piazzale Michelangelo where a 'fake’ metal statue of David stands, and the view of Florence from here is amazing. Due to buses and train timetables we couldn’t wait on the steps with all the others and listen to the buskers, but we were close enough to sunset for our poor feet to handle.

Leaving Tuscany the following morning, we couldn’t resist a stopover in Volterra, close to San Gimignano – it was a beautiful little town, though we didn’t see the main square we got the gist that the town/region is famous for its wild boar and alabaster. We also had our first taste of pasta with truffle sauce, but we don’t know what all the fuss is about. The lady at the table near couldn’t eat hers, and we had to practically force it down. It was a very odd flavour.

We enjoyed a single night stopover to break up the trip at Grottaferrata, inland and a little south from Rome. We had picked this town from a Road Maps of Italy book, which the owner had only just found out he was featured in. We were blessed with the most amazing transformation of grand house to hotel, with the grape and olive farm of course their primary production. We had the most beautiful verandah and outlook of the property and views to Rome. We think there was only one other person staying the night and the owner was very friendly. The government now allows the farmers to utilize there property for hospitality – called agritourismo – but they dictate that they can’t earn more then 50% of their income from the rentals/accommodation.

We had much merryment and were in the spirit of driving like an Italian on the way to Sorrento the next day. A stopover at Lago Albano, where the pope has his
Leah, the makeup artists have it tough!Leah, the makeup artists have it tough!Leah, the makeup artists have it tough!

Imagine having to cycle around with your makeup kit on the back of your bike!
summer vacations, and close to where we were staying was our first port of call. Tomasina, as we have named our GPS, gave us a bum steer and led us off the main road into a one way street of a little town preparing for a festival. I remind you that driving is difficult at the best of times, but a festival, and a long one way street is dire! It took us about 15 mins to backtrack to the main street, and some impossibly tight corners.

We decided we would sing along to 'On the road again’ and rewrote the song with many references to the crazy driving we were viewing on the roads – people texting while driving a vespa, some like to create a third lane, where there is only 2 by zipping up between you and the car next to you (what gain there is we can’t work out, because it has even happened when stopped at lights) , parking on the roundabout (1/2 way around it), or just turn off the roundabout from any lane, and the obligatory beep to the car who is actually doing the right thing, driving at 120 in a
The Duomo close upThe Duomo close upThe Duomo close up

The pink, green and white marble is beautiful in the main cathedral in Florence
60 zone. If you want to just stop and have a chat with a friend who happens to be walking past, just block half the lane and ignore the beeping. You can see there are many opportunities for good lyrics and laughter.

Arriving in Sorrento in one piece to drop the car back without any extra scratches or dings seemed a minor miracle, and we heaved a sigh of relief!
Our accommodation is in the best spot, down on the water level, even though most of Sorrento is high on the top of the cliffs. We have the biggest deck/verandah in the hotel and are enjoying some quiet time. Lucky for us there is a bus every hour that runs up to the main part of town.

Today we bused to Positano, even though it is just around the headland, it was an hour journey over the top of the mountain and wound back down the other side to Positano. Another beautiful town with loads of steps up and down. We can see how the Italians cope with all the carbs – they can’t leave their front door without walking up and down 100-300 steps. It was a
DuomoDuomoDuomo

It was much dirtier than when we saw it 13 years ago, it had just been cleaned then for a special event. The Doges Palace in Venice we were told takes 6 years to clean, so I imagine this is not a quick job either.
lovely spot for lunch, but much busier than where we are staying, as there is more of a beach for swimming (as you will see in the photos).

Many photos follow from the last few days.
Hope you enjoy.



Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Cycling in heelsCycling in heels
Cycling in heels

Many of the ladies of Italy cycle to work on their push bikes or vespas, in their heels, handbag on shoulder and off they go.
Delivery of new doorDelivery of new door
Delivery of new door

If you buy a new door, or want to have yours renovated, it will involve a truck with a crane, 4 italians, much cussing, scratching of the door on the stone walls, and an audience of 20 tourists saying why don't they just move the truck forward 1 metre!
Bimbo equals baby not blonde!Bimbo equals baby not blonde!
Bimbo equals baby not blonde!

We have enjoyed many funny signs about Bimbo's. This was one of two on the back of a car.
Blue or piink bows signify a baby born.Blue or piink bows signify a baby born.
Blue or piink bows signify a baby born.

This way all of the locals know a baby has been born and what sex it was. They also put a sign on doors when someone passes.


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0771s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb