Ciao from Positarno


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Positano
June 30th 2013
Published: June 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We have spent the last five days in Positano on the Amalfi Coast. On reaching Salerno at the end of our train travel from Sicily on Wednesday, we then undertook the ride of our lives; the journey to Positano was on a bus winding around and around the coastline on unbelievably narrow roads on which all manner of vehicles from Vespas to large buses manage to traverse even if someone has to reverse back, with a line of vehicles behind also reversing, so that the other may pass on one of the many hairpin bends! An experience we will never forget! Unfortunately, as Les isn't a good traveller at any time, under these conditions, he didn't fair too well at all. Needless to say Les and I didn't visit Pompeii and Vesuvius the next day with Rob and Ros. We plan to do this from Rome in the next few days, where the bus travel is far more simplified and a shorter distance. Yesterday we all visited the Isle of Capri and engaged a lovely local man, Salvatori, to take us on a guided tour in his beautifully restored and maintained old wooden boat around the island and to the Blue Grotto. The weather was against us, however, and the seas became more and more turbulent as the day progressed and this time, I did not fair so well and Les was also becoming increasingly unwell as the swell increased. Salvatori pulled into a beautiful little bay where the water was calmer and we were able to enjoy a swim in the fresh waters of the Mediterranean. This was the best medicine for seasickness, until a jellyfish decided to latch on to my arm! I just can't win! Les and I decided not to go further to see the Grotto, rather to wait on a small beach nearby here to recover. Sadly as the weather was so unfriendly and the seas so large, the Blue Grotto was closed to all vessels so Rob and Ros didn't see it either. They did see another grotto, the green, which by all accounts was very pretty. We didn't miss out all together though, as we had been taken into a small version of the Blue Grotto and the water was absolutely beautiful in it's shimmering blue/green/aqua colours of silk appearance.

We enjoyed a beautiful meal at a quaint restaurant on the hillside opposite our hotel with magnificent views out to sea and of the Positano hotels and residences. A small local bus which passes by our hotel on the half hour all day, transported us to the restaurant and we walked back to our hotel rather than wait another half hour. The walk was actually very enjoyable after our gorgeous Italian meal! Today, Rob and Ros have visited the Emerald Grotto, Grotto Esmeralda, another bus trip that Les and I couldn't face, unfortunately. They said it was very impressive and didn't disappoint! Tonight we are looking forward to dinner at the La Verda Restaurant, which is its proudly on the edge of the mountainside (like everything here) and overlooks the magnificent sea! Can't wait.

Positano is a magnificent little place! We have thoroughly enjoyed our time here, visiting the village daily as we walk down to the beach to either swim or catch the jet ferry, visit the deli, shop and shop, buy ice-creams or coffees, or walk around the edge of the mountain overlooking the sea. The beach is black from the volcanic ash, as is completely stoney! We definitely have magnificent beaches at home! No wonder the tourists love us!

Tomorrow we travel to Rome!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



2nd July 2013

Amazing
Hi Helen, the photos look wonderful. Hope you all have the holiday of a lifetime. Margaret
3rd July 2013

Such a shame about all your transport travel sickness woes! But it sounds like you\'re enjoying yourselves nonetheless - seeing some beautiful sights, eating delicious food and fitting in some shopping here and there ;) Look forward to hearing about your Pompeii adventures, it was one of our favourite places, so beautiful. Love Katie, Daniel & Abbey xox

Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb