Day 19: Gary Arrives


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Apulia » Otranto
June 12th 2012
Published: June 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

ArrivalArrivalArrival

Gary and the Art Critic, Lucio Possi, arrive in Otranto
We got up at the normal hour, breakfast on the balcony, and tried to find the travel agent. One agency was supposed to open at 9:00 and the other at 9:30…. At 9:45, neither had opened. In the meantime, I walked around and shopped at all my favorite food places. I need to get train tickets to Bari for our trip on Friday.



Martha and I hung out at the cathedral for 30 minutes before the castle opened at 10:00. It is interesting to begin to have a relationship with the church with so many visits to it. We try to go every day. We spent the most time today in the crypt looking for Maltese crosses of the crusaders and knights.



I worked in the studio in the morning and got several layers of gum bichromate finished. It was quiet… Tuesday and very few tourists in town. We had a salad of lettuce and fresh herbs we have gathered on our walks… fennel, mint and oregano. I bought fresh mozzarella at the mozzarella factory and some tomatoes from the vegetable cart. It was a very satisfying lunch.



We went for a
TerraceTerraceTerrace

Perfect for a party!
quick dip in the ocean, the bella mare, and home to get ready for Gary who was arriving late afternoon!



Gary arrived with the art critic, Lucio Pozzi. They had a taxi from Brindizi together. He is staying on the lower level of our house. We went from 2 to 4 in a matter of minutes. Gary wanted to keep going inspite of the long travel time, so we walked all over the old town, bought bus tickets for the trip to Bari on Friday, and got lunch items at the grocery store. We had hazelnut gelato at our favorite shop.



We met Martha for a drink at the Spinnaker Bar and then went to the BAU vegetarian dinner party at Stuccgu Su House (Kate, Julie and Pyx). It was catered by a local chef, Anna. I especially loved the garbanzo (chickpea) bean dish, peasant food it is called, so fresh and hardy and wonderful.



This house was especially fine for a party. Although you had to climb up 4 sets of stairs to get to the top floor apartment, the terrace facing the ocean was worth the effort!!! The evening was cool enough and we all enjoyed the view, the food, and the company!



Great evening topped off with lemoncello and amare on the terrace.



More Photos below.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



16th June 2012

Gary!
Your adventure continues! The pictures have been so good....looking forward to seeing more of your travels. Have fun.

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0211s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb