Long Way Round featuring Pescara


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Abruzzo » Pescara
May 8th 2013
Published: June 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Greg: Looking at a map, it seemed quite logical to us that after spending some time in Bologna, we would head down the east coast via Pescara, possibly Foggia then come back west to Naples/Pompei. However, upon arriving we learnt that a direct line to Naples didnt exist (the internet lied to us!). That combined with our host being surprised we had chosen Pescara to visit given its reputation (and told not to go further to Foggia) made us rethink and instead stay the one night before going back up to Rome then south from there.

After some communication mishaps with our host we finally located our accommodation, and went straight into plans for dinner as it was already around 9pm. Deciding against getting a local pizza we bussed back to the main town and walked the streets for a while, realising almost every shop was closed. Combined with some pretty dodgy looking characters and half of the street lights out - we found ourselves thinking about skipping a meal for the first time (hard to believe right?). Refusing to be beaten we finally located a small bar who were nearly closed, but offered some basic food and a couple of beers which we readily accepted. After serving us the bar manager walked straight back out front to resume drinking with his mates which we found pretty hilarious.

Bussing home safely we slept comfortably before having breakfast in Monia's lounge (interesting decor as you will see in the photos) and walking out to wait for the 8.40am bus. After neither that bus or the next turns up, we start walking and luckily catch the 3rd one to come along - but have already missed our 9.10am train to Rome. However, upon talking with the bus locals we find no-one actually takes this train as its 4 hours through windy hills - and the bus is a much better option. Arriving in the nick of time we bought bus tickets and jumped on before taking a 2.5hour bus trip - beating the train we were meant to catch!

A quick paella lunch (not amazing, will teach us to wait for Spain) before taking the fast train to Naples, we then took a small regional on to Pompei where we will detail in our next post.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



8th June 2013

Monia's lounge
A visual symphony to be sure. Am thinking of adopting her style next makeover - not!

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0918s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb