Paddy Wagon Tour!!


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
June 19th 2009
Published: June 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 88 Derry


Today Emma and I were in at Paddy Palace by 8am to leave on our 6 day tour around Ireland!! We started off with a drive around phoenix Park, Europes largest! 5,000 Red Deer running wild. Stopping for a photo stop of the Papal Cross and a look in on Aras an Uachtarain (the home of the Irish President Mary). From there we drove into Drogheda where we stopped for lunch and saw the preserved head of St. Oliver Plunkett (executed 1681) in St. Peters Cathedral.
From there we drove through a town which has 4 identical houses facing each other at the centre, with only the colour of the doors telling them apart. We then sailed on through Slain where we stopped for a quick photo of Slain castle along the way.
Our final stop for the night was Historic Derry where we were meet by Rory for a historic tour of the town. We walked along the Derry city walls and heard about Bloody Sunday and the other political battles.
That night we had our first night out with our new tour buddies. Who of which compromised of several NZ, Aussies, Canadians, Americans and of course our token Dubliner Emma. We spent the night in a Peadar O'Donnells pub listening to traditional Irish music and drinking too much cider!

Day 89 Belfast


Drive through enchanting Sligo visiting the sacred grave of our national Poet, Nobel laureate WB Yeats. Explore the vast archaeological and cultural richness of Irelands North West Coast. Stop at Knock, Catholic Irelands vast pilgrimage site.
Tonight we were in Belfast and after many a discussion on what to do we decided on a quite one and headed out to the cinema instead to see Angles and Demons.

Day 90 Galway


First thing in the mourning we were up to have a Black Taxi tour to view the Peace wall and political murals. Our guides also gave us an insight into the life in Belfast.
From there we moved onto the Gaint’s Causeway and the Carrick-a-rede rope bridge. We also walked around Dunluce Castle.
Tonight we were in Galway, Irelands party capital. We had a fantastic night as one of the guys knew a couple of locals who took us out to the local pubs and we had a grand old time. When we returned to the hostel we had a game of early morning Uno with a couple of randoms.

Day 91 Dingle


Today you will have the wild atlantic ocean by your side as we cruise down the West Coast. Run around the lunar landscape of the Burren before gazing in awe at the majesty that is the Cliffs of Moher.
Tonight we stayed in the Randy Leprechaun in Annascaul on the Dingle Peninsula. Were we had a Karaoke night!!

Day 92 Killarney


Today we take a short drive to Dingle, a charming gaelic speaking fishing village. Free time in Dingle to shop and lunch and then a pleasant tour around Slea Head. Along the way we were meant to be able to see the Sleeping Giant Island. However we were unable to see anything at all due to too much fog lying over the landscape.
A group of us also decided to go horse riding through Killarney National Park. It was lovely and peaceful.
Our last night on tour was spent in Killarney. I however was unable to join in the festivities as I had a good old dose of food posioning. Hence I spent the night vomiting it was no fun at all.

Day 93 Dublin


Cross the Cork and Kerry Mountains to kiss the legendary Blarney Stone on top of Blarney Castle. Souvenir heaven! We then travelled through the battle fields of "Braveheart" to Dublin were we visited the Guinness Storehouse. Before heading our separate ways. Our tour of Ireland was over…….

Advertisement



Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb