Hiking in Ireland’s Wicklow Mountains


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Wicklow » Glendalough
August 22nd 2019
Published: August 23rd 2019
Edit Blog Post

This morning we began with an Irish breakfast of eggs, heavy ham and sausage, or porridge and fruit... I had the latter.
Once out the door of our hotel we walked with Father Michael through The Gateway into one of Ireland’s most important monastic sites right next to our Glendalough Hotel. This early Christian monastic settlement was founded by St. Kevin in the 6th century. The round tower. A bell tower was built almost 1,000 years ago by the monks of St. Kevin’s monastery, it was also used as a place for refuge for monks and as a lookout tower. We happened upon the remains of the Cathedral, several churches and a structure known as the Priest House, the name is derived from an 18th century of bringing priests to be readied for burial and also burying them in the floor.

After the monastic site tour, we finished with the Eucharist at the remains of one of the churches... a special spiritual exclamation after this sacred tour.

The afternoon led to an incredible hiking experience on the Wicklow mountain range. Kerry took a waterfall hike and I chose to discover the hiking trails toward the top of the mountain.
Both were stunning experiences. Deep pine forests, add some birch stands and solitude ... it all added up to a great afternoon.

We met our tour group in the hotel for dinner, and then an intimate sharing time with a little guitar picking to end a perfect evening in Glendalough .


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement






23rd August 2019

Sounds like a wonderful day! And a day that ends with guitar pickin is my favorite day!

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0229s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb