Ireland's oldest city


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Waterford » Waterford
May 3rd 2015
Published: May 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Waterfront and checked into our guest house. Went to the pub around the corner for dinner where we ate the most delicious bangers and mash ever! The gravy was amazing! We then went for a walk around town to see what was there. More than expected. Considering the only reason we were in Waterford was to take a photo outside the Tom Maher pub for Stevie we didn't know much about the place. At night what we could gather was an established and high quality shopping district and a port.

In the morning we were on a hunt for breakfast. It was a Sunday and a bank holiday so not many places were open before 12. We found a hotel called the granview that was serving breakfast. Now I don't know if you can tell from the name but it was a pretty swanky hotel. The waiters and waitresses had uniforms with ties and we were the only people who weren't staying at the hotel. But we were starving so we went in. For 15 euro we could have a hot and cold breakfast so we thought why not treat ourselves. There was a buffet from which we ate: yogurt, fruit, croissants, jam, museli, cereal, toast, tea and juice. Then for hot breakfast we had bacon and poached eggs. Needless to say we took advantage of the buffet and even took some toast for the road.

After breakfast we went to the medieval museum, bishops palace and reginalds tower where we discovered that there was more to Waterford than originally thought. Waterford is Ireland's oldest city and discovered by vikings in 914. From there it was invaded by the Normans and became a royal city along with Dublin. Over the years they specialised in wine trade and were influenced by the rise and fall of Catholicism from the Royal family in England. We saw buildings that were built by the vikings originally there, wine vaults from the original Normans and most impressively gold vestments made in the 1460s. They were amazing!!

We left Waterford on the way to Cork at 15:10 on a train. But due to train works and diversions we didn't arrive until 22:30. More to come from Cork soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb