Dublin to Sligo


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Sligo » Sligo
September 9th 2013
Saved: March 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

9th September

After leaving Dublin on the M4 we stopped to take photos of Boyle Abbey ruins before returning to Carrick-on-Shannon where we alighted the Moon River boat for a cruise on the Shannon River. This included scones, jam and cream. The cream in Ireland is lovely - must be a side benefit of all the rain. A chirpy man on a mandolin and his mate on a Penny Whistle entertained us with jokes and tunes as we glided along.

There are many swans in Ireland who are considered sacred to many following the King Lear legend of his second wife turning his children into swans.

At Knock we visited the National Shrine of Marien where an Apparition of the Virgin Mary occurred in 1870. A Mass was in progress over loud speakers and worshipers were following the Stations of the Cross. A beautiful statue of the Virgin Mary was on a small trolley and surrounded by lilies and other flowers. Later we saw that this statue led a procession of the worshipers about a large courtyard and into one of the 3 churches we saw. They have enclosed the actual site of the Apparition.

Across the road was a small gift shop selling all manner of religious items. We bought a small bottle for Holy Water and filled it from one of the many taps available.

Thousands of Catholics make a Pilgrimage to Knock on significant Religious days.

Our journey ended at Sligo Southern Hotel then we had some free time to wander the township.


Additional photos below
Photos: 97, Displayed: 23


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb