Ireland the North 1 Sligo


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Sligo » Sligo
June 2nd 2022
Published: June 2nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

Pig sculpture.Pig sculpture.Pig sculpture.

Diamond Coast
Ireland Thursday June 2

Breakfast at 7.30 for an early start again as rain is forecast all day, but with a slight benefit of a tail wind for most of the day. Today we are heading for the Riverside Hotel in Sligo. Luckily the forecast changed a little with rain just in the afternoon so we had a morning with a tail wind and the occasional glimpse of sun. The coast road was undulating and quite pleasant looking out to sea with little islands just offshore in the Moy estuary. There were murals of sheep at a smallholding at the roadside. I stopped to take a photo and an old lady (actually younger than me) came out and offered us a cup of tea. Lovely people. We later had a very good coffee and piece of cake just before the Easky Castle by a wonderful coastal road. Just before I got to Ballysadare the heavens opened and stair rods were descending so fast they were bouncing off my cape. Luckily the lunch stop was not far away and I managed to get inside the cafe. After I removed my outer clothing the waitress duly followed after me with a cloth mopping the floor. Was she trying to tell me something? I think she gave up when Tony and Deborah landed looking like something from fished up from the sea bed. Good soup by the way. Upon leaving Ballysadare I looked back and saw some impressive waterfalls of the river as it descended to the sea. I discovered that Strandhill actually is on a hill as my legs are a testament to the fact. As I neared Sligo the big lump of a hill called Benbulbin got larger and larger as I went around the big end and eventually saw Sligo across the bay, my end point was now in sight. Thankfully it was mostly downhill. Have you got the impression yet that I love descending? Now to get dried off and showered ready for dinner. After Frank had dashed into town, of course, to replace the socks he lost. He is also getting quite used to the borrowed Garmin he has. He hasn’t got lost yet today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement




Peter in the wet. Peter in the wet.
Peter in the wet.

Ballysadare



Tot: 0.479s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb