Ireland the North 1 Ballina


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Mayo » Ballina
June 1st 2022
Published: June 1st 2022
Edit Blog Post

Ireland Wednesday 1 June

Nice and sunny for most of the day with a mild north westerly wind which followed is for the first 20km in green cow country. The scenery was good with mostly better farm land, apart from the section alongside Lough Conn which was a bit wild and rocky. A nice cycleway took us alongside the river from Castlebar to Turlough and then past Turlough Tower built about 1000 yrs ago with a now abandoned church built alongside at a later date. The route north was undulating with no massive hills to make the day’s climbing of 760 metres. After a light lunch in Crossmolina we headed to our destination of Ballina along some pleasant minor roads taking us past the remains of Deel Castle and what looked like an abandoned church with tower covered in ivy. The final run into town was a pleasant cycle alongside the river Moy to end at the Ballina Manor Hotel overlooking the river. Early finish before 2pm with a numb rear end and aching joints due to old age and juvenile injuries. By juvenile I mean in my 60’s. The sun is still shining and we are thankful for that. What’s for dinner? I feel hunger coming along.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

MuralMural
Mural

Westport
Sculpture Sculpture
Sculpture

Westport

River MoyRiver Moy
River Moy

Ballina


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb