Day 10 Donegal to Ballina via Enniskillen


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Mayo » Ballina
April 27th 2018
Published: April 27th 2018
Edit Blog Post

T-shirt weather greeted us so we delayed our departure from Donegal to 'go-have-another-look-round'. Beautiful place. Made our way through a few countryside tracks to the beach. Tide was out and no-one was around. Walked through the dunes to feel the windswept grasses.

Back on the road we passed through beautiful (again) Ballyshannon and headed towards Enniskillen along the Lower Lough Erne which was so calm it was mirror like. We stopped numerous times to walk amongst the forest trees lining Erne. Enniskillen is perched amid a web of waterways and is a very appealing town with a 1.6km long main street that rides the roller-coaster spine of an island drumlin. Jane walked most of it "window shopping". I preferred the attractive waterside setting. However, together we did indulge ourselves at the BEST café called, "The Jolly Sandwich" and upon leaving we struck up a very cheery conversation with the female owner who then proceeded to give us a packet of shortbread biscuits. The service throughout Ireland so far, no matter where we have been has been first class.

So from the county of Fermanagh & Omagh we travel through the county of Leitrim and discover Glencar Waterfall nestled amongst the trees that line the steep mountain side of the Darty Mountains. On the luscious green banks beside the river that flows long through the valley are numerous sheep and lambs. Apart from walking to and up and back from the waterfall we spent quite a bit of time here just enjoying watching the lambs jump and bound into the air as they played with each other. Good for the soul to enjoy these simple pleasures.

Through Sligo county and onto Ballina, with our stopover at Whitestream House, our B&B, in Mayo county. We arrived at peak traffic time however after booking into the B&B we headed in the town centre and by foot and vehicle gave Ballina the once over. We're looking forward to sleeping well tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement




Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 12; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb