Day 9 Buncranna to Donegal via Malin Head


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Donegal » Malin Head
April 26th 2018
Published: April 26th 2018
Edit Blog Post

If there's a cleaner country on this earth we've yet to see it. No matter whether its a village, town, city, carpark, riverbank or National Park there is never, and I mean NEVER, a scrap of litter.

I am fortunate that today actually happened. After completing the previous blog I developed severe dizziness/vertigo. I had spent a week in hospital a few years back when the crystals in my ears displaced so I knew the feeling. Our journey could have been in severe jeopardy, however by some miraculous occurrence I gradually recovered during the night. So I live to tell another tale.

We headed to the most northerly point of Ireland, Malin Head, finding it to be a very cold, windswept rocky headland, with the Atlantic Ocean swells pounding the black rocks. We were dressed for the occasion but still the wind penetrated. We did however thoroughly enjoy the walk around the headland and to the summit. From here we made our way to the small and absolutely magnificently well kept village of Malin. Upon walking around I approached and made conversation with a few local workmen. We shared raucous laughter and conversation that had the slow drivers stop
their passing through and join in the banter. Yes, that actually happened. It's moments like these that define the experiences of travel. I love these situations.

After stopping in Carndonagh for a cuppa it was onto Donegal but not before we travelled through the Glenveagh National Park home of the Derryveagh and Glendowan Mountains. It is a harsh, stark, treeless, saturated environment and with the at times overcast sky spewing forth large drops of very cold rain it added to the starkness. Definitely very different to what we experience back home in Australia. Coming out the western side we were greeted by Dun Luiche, a large Loch with a few buildings overlooking its windswept waters. Much of our journey today was through countryside which gave us a very different perspective of scenery compared to yesterdays coastal views. Winding, narrow roads, stone walled bridges over numerous fast flowing dark streams and rivers, due to the peat over which the water runs, were the order of the day. We did pass over one 'modern' bridge over the river Gweebarra, in the town of Leitir Mhic An Bhaird. Try pronouncing that.

Before finding our B&B, Milltown House, just south of Donegal we found a small bar and ... ordered ... a hot soup!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement








27th April 2018

G'day from your friends in Perth.
Absolutely stunning Belotts . What a special part of the world . I see what you mean by "clean" - you could eat you dinner off the roads. Trust you are both fit and healthy - stay safe . Pete & Dan .

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb