Day 10 -Ring of Kerry


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry
September 22nd 2006
Published: September 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We were up, and ready for another day with Batt. Today the “Ring of Kerry”, and I believe a bit of a longer drive. We left Killarney, and our first stop was on the lake leaving town at Ross Castle. It was an old fortress on the lake bank. I would give you details, but this place was not even in our guide books. Our next stop was Kerry Bog Village. It gave you a taste of the early life in the Irish Peatlands . The little cottages, with thatched roofs were fully furnished as life would be in the 1800's. We traveled on towards Valentia Island , on the tip of the peninsula. We did not have time to take a boat out to the Skellig Islands, But had beautiful weather and were able to get some wonderful photos. We went south across a small pass,(there are a lot of passes on these small peninsula’s, all with incredible views) We headed back east towards Kenmare. We stopped in a little village named Sneem on our way up th coast. All the buildings were painted bright colors. All the villages are wonderful, but this one really popped. We arrived at Kenmare at our favorite B&B so far. Good job Ted Shelburne Lodge was a mid 18th century Georgian farmhouse, set in a large garden , with lawns, herb gardens, an orchard, and a lawn tennis court. The rooms are large,(yeah a king size bed), and the whole house is full of wonderful antiques, and fresh greens from the gardens. All wanted to go into town, but DeNise and I immediately decided to retire to the sitting room by the fire and work on our journals. (With the help of a nice bottle of wine ) Well it was not very long before everyone was back with a great selection of cheese, bread, meats, and a bit more wine. Our host “Tom”, was very gracious, bringing us wine glasses, plates, etc., and keeping the fire going all night . The boys played some cribbage, and we all had a lovely evening, without the hustle bustle of the little tourist town. I had the pleasure of my first bathtub on the journey. We will certainly not have to count sheep tonight. Nite all.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb