The Cliffs of Moher


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway
August 29th 2006
Published: September 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

We were sharing a dorm with two guys from the US. It was by conincidence that we had booked the same tour for today, until we realized that 10 different companies do the same thing. The only difference was that we booked one that included a 'gentle walking tour'. At 10:00am we loaded the bus, our driver/guide was very Irish and was loads of fun. We learned the history behind names of Irish places ie. Kil = church in gaelic hence all the names that start with Kill -> Killarney, Killenny etc. Our guide for the walking tour was a farmer who's family owned the farm and a bit of the mountain we were about to walk through. He was definately husband material Cathy! But as a policy he doesn't give out his number...darn. His family had owned the land for hundreds of years. He has a degree in archeology and local geography so he told us about all the flora and fauna of the area. He also showed us the 'sliding rock'. A large smooth rock outcrop along the hillside. You sit on another rock that was kind of flat and slid down the outcrop. It was a lot of fun when I tried it.
Back onto the bus. Our next stop was the Cliffs of Moher. None of the post cards of photos do it justice. The part we were in had a drop of 700ft. I was getting major vertigo and the winds were really strong at one point. It said in the guidebook that the wind manages to blow a few tourists off the edge every year, (we stayed a very safe distance from the edge!) The weather was brilliant and we really enjoyed the day. If you are ever in Galway, take the tour with the walking. And hey, maybe you'll have better luck getting the guy's number!

Back in Galway we went to the local theater and watched a show called Music at the Crossroads. It had a mix of traditional music with ballads and traditional dance. Again, highly recommended. They are apperently going on an international tour next year, so if you see that they are coming to Vancouver, let me know! I'd love to see them again.

Amie

Advertisement



23rd September 2006

Missin you!!!
I just cant seem to get enough of your adventures!! Its too bad that the hostels have to suck so bad :S But, atleast you guys are having lots of fun regardless of the sleeping conditions. Finding someone of husband material is a tough task! Too bad you couldnt get his number, lol. Well, cant wait to see you guys when you come home...hopefully we havent moved before you get here!! Take care and hope to see you soon!!!
24th September 2006

HUSBAND?!?!?
Hey buddy, thanks for trying. I dont need his number providing you, my directionly challenged friend, could find his house again. :) I have faith in you buddy. Although, I am not going to hold my breathe. Cheers, Cathy P.s I cant help but notice that the date on this blog is August 29 and today is really Sept 24. I think my theory of you guys hanging out at your house right now trying to get your blogs down before you announce that you are home is totally correct. (I think I might make a surprise visit thursday night/friday morning just to see) :)

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb