Galway


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Galway
March 9th 2013
Published: March 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

This weekend Randi and I adventured to Galway. After the 2 and a half hour bus ride, we pulled into the Galway Bus Station and a beautiful day! We checked into our hostel, The Galway City Hostel, and then went to find some food. We stopped into a pub called the Skeff. They were still serving breakfast so we decided to try our luck at an Irish Breakfast. It was the best decision we could have made. An Irish breakfast consists of sausage, bacon, an egg, black pudding, white pudding, and potatoes. Black and White pudding is not like the pudding you may be thinking of, it has a totally different taste and texture. It is more of a solid, but it tastes delicious. I also ordered a hot chocolate with the breakfast. It was so rich that I couldn't finish it. Once we finished, we walked around Eyre Square which is where our hostel and the restaurant were located. When the city built the Square, it cost them 9.3 million euro. I personally don't think that it looks nice enough to have cost that much. We found some chalk drawings and a weird looking park for children.



We ventured on to Shop Street which is the center of entertainment and shopping for the city. We stopped in alot of shops. I picked up some postcards, a charm for my necklace, and a shot glass that says Ireland on it. There were tons of street performers everywhere and lots of live music. At the end of the street we crossed the bridge and took the extremely long walk to the Salthill. On the way, we walked along the bay and there were lots of birds which little kids were feeding. As we got closer to the "Salthill", we had no idea what to expect. What is a Salt Hill? It ends up that it is just a bunch of beaches, with an incredible amount of people for it being a bit too cold to be swimming. There were little kids playing in the sand in snow suits! It was an absolutely stunning sight though. Defiantly worth the 2 or 3 mile walk.



We started walking back toward town and decided to walk through the neighborhoods surrounding the city. There were so many bed and breakfast's that it was unbelieveable. There is defiantly plenty of places to sleep if you ever want to visit Galway. Then we walked alongside the river on the way to the Galway Cathedral. There is so much falling water. It is such a calming place to walk. When we arrived at the Cathedral, it was so magnificent. The inside was very medieval looking. We just went inside and took in the beauty and took a break from walking for 20 minutes. We then walked back to shop street and explored some of the side roads and started looking for somewhere to eat dinner. We finally decided on Riordan's. It was an authentic Irish restaurant. i ordered Shepard's Pie and Randi got Guiness and Beef Stew. The food was amazing. Then for dessert, we both had Bailey's Cheesecake. It was so rich!



For the night, we got tickets to see Hermatige Green at the Roisin Dubh, which directly translates to Black Rose. It is a little pub that brings in alot of music. We decided that it must be a popular spot because everyone knew where it was when we asked. The concert was amazing. The band was so passionate when they played that you couldn't help but dancing along with the music! They are a very popular band in Ireland and they are trying to make it in America. Watching them play was one of the best experiences of my life. We went and got some homemade pizza afterward and then went to bed. Sunday Morning we caught the bus back to Limerick.


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Shop StreetShop Street
Shop Street

Toy Shop
Shop StreetShop Street
Shop Street

Inside the Toy Shop
Shop StreetShop Street
Shop Street

Inside the Toy Shop


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb