Castlebar to Limerick, Sunday, March 13, 2011


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Galway
March 13th 2011
Published: March 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We left Castlebar early this morning and headed south toward Limerick with a quick stop in Galway. Galway is currently Greg's favorite town thus far. It is very compact and we were able to park at the Galway Cathedral and walk everywhere. We first went into the Cathedral and were able to view beautiful stainglass windows and a huge cathedral. It was also very very cold in there.

I'm wearing a skirt today and we first had to make a stop at a department store so I could get tights to keep my legs warm! It was sunny, but still cold for us thin blooded Floridians. 😊

We first make our way to Eyre (pronounced "Air") Square which is also known as the JFK Park, in commemoration of JFK's visit here in 1963, only a few months before his assassination. It is a nice size park and in the sun, so we were able to enjoy a few minutes of people watching.

Since it was Sunday, we walked around early and a lot was closed. We weren't able to go into Lynch's Castle, which is actually now a bank. We followed signs throughout the town and they led us to the Spanish Arch. One of four arches built in the 1500-1600s.

The shops started opening around noon and artists began sitting along the shop streets playing music or other entertainment. Very pleasant.

We ended up at the Kings Head for lunch and that's were the bartender informed us about never having heard of Killians. Such a shame and embarrassment.

Surprisingly I didn't purchase anything. 😞

We left in the early afternoon and came to Limerick where we'll be staying the next two nights at the Strand Hotel. This hotel is by far my favorite! Comfy bed, free Wifi in the room, gym that opens early, and close to downtown!

We went around the city briefly and along the Shannon River - we got some great shots of the Shannon River and King Johns Castle and St. Nicolas Church.... The town/city itself was pretty dead on a Sunday evening, but we were able to find a nice restaurant and enjoyed some curry. I took my first break from Guinness and had some wine. 😊

Off to bed. Long day to Dingle and Cork to kiss a Blarney Stone!



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Strand HotelStrand Hotel
Strand Hotel

My fav! Very nice!


15th March 2011

Weather
Glad to see you're getting some good weather!

Tot: 0.316s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 6; ; mem: 1.1mb