Ireland random stories


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Galway
March 13th 2011
Published: March 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I'm just going to write about some randoms that Greg and I have learned, laughed about, and enjoyed during our trip.....

Terminology:
Craic - It has a number of meanings... the latest discovery was a poster in a pub that said "Enjoy Craic on your plate, Enjoy Craic on the stage, and Enjoy craic on the telly." Craic = fun, food, beer, etc.

Take away - Also known as "To go". Would you like that take away? (Greg was asked that and he said "huh?".)

Pint = Beer (duh)

Toasties - These are ham and cheese sandwiches the pubs make every morning and then stick in a toaster when ordered. Yummy!

To let - No, it isn't missing an "i". It means "For Rent"

Ticket Towt - When asking a pub owner about the upcoming 6 nations tourney, she said you may be able to get a ticket from a Ticket Towt = Scalper




Odd facts:
No bartenders over hear have never heard of Killians Irish Red. After a short Google search, we learned Killians is in fact NOT IRISH! Grrrrrrrrrrr. Freaking Coors brews it.

Tipping bartenders - Don't Tip! They would prefer you to use that $ towards your next pint. (Direct quote from an Irish Bartender.) It is the hardest habit to break, oddly.

Not related to Ireland, but Greg and I have had deep discussions about the word Tobbogan. To me, it means the nice warm hat on my head. To him, a sled.

Rugby - Try as we may, we still can't figure out all the rules. However, we are hoping to be able to score some tickets to the Ireland v England game on Saturday.

Soccer- It is on in every pub, all day, every day. Interesting.

Pudding = dried bread like substance. = Blah.

Is there such thing as "left on red" as in the states = "right on red"? According to Greg, yes.

Roundabouts! Wow. There are a TON. Instead of highways with exits, there are roundabouts. Greg has mastered these.

Sundays are days of rest. Places open later, close earlier... don't they know they have tourists here????? 😊




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



15th March 2011

Cheers!
I agree with Greg. Toboggan is a sled. And is that you out drinking Greg in pic 233? Atta girl!

Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb