Galway, Ireland


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Galway
July 12th 2008
Published: July 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

July 12, 2008
Galway, Ireland

The internet "dongle" is working! What you might ask is a "dongle"? It is a broadband connection that we purchased in England and sometimes it works and sometimes...NO. When it works.... we try to get emails and blogs going. The Internet Cafe system gets old... quick. So for a while this morning we are trying to catch up on news.
Getting into Galway, once you know the roads, is easy, so off we go. It is Saturday and a farmers market is bustling. This is Ireland, so it is raining again, and we decide to go to the Spanish Arch...built in 1584 to protect the harbor; it was here the Spanish traders unloaded their ships. It is next to the "free" Galway Museum (this is the first thing "free" in Ireland we have experienced). Since it is raining a museum sounds good. It is a magnificent building, but the interior is lacking in "stuff". The Cathedral of Galway is visible and we decided to visit it next. It is one sturdy building meant to last, with a very modern interior and lovely stained glass windows. It was busy with parishioners and activities. a very alive church. A gentleman greeted us and handed a medal, Bob told him he would bring this back to the States and give it to a recent widow; then the man handed five more medals and explained a mass was said once a month for those wearing the medal.
Buskers Browne's was our choice for a late lunch and it was enjoyable. There are so many pubs one doesn't know what to choose, so we asked a lady coming out of church. The return walking trip "home" was good exercise.
Time for homework to begin...get the maps, the GPS, and the campground books, and the tour books ready for tomorrow. Where are we??? and where are we going?? It is usually a busy evening of planning. However we packed several video series..."Lord of the Rings", "West Wing", "Gray's Anatomy" , "World War II", "Star Wars", etc..it helps keep us sane...I THINK! It allows for time to just stop... and "VEG OUT" once in a while.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



19th December 2008

Pictures
Love the pictures and journals. Makes us feel like we traveled with you. Sounds like you had quite an adventure.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb