One more day...


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin
June 4th 2006
Published: June 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So we're down to our last full day in Europe. We've decided to spend it in the Temple Bar area of Dublin, lots of people, shops and most importantly, pubs. We're hoping to catch some more futbol on the tvs in the pubs because we've been trying to pay more attention to the World Cup teams. As we said before, the people over here love their soccer! We watched England run circles around jamaica yesterday. Sara is going to root for England and i'm going for the US and Holland.
UNKA ED, since you've been one of our most consistent commenters, we have to tell you about the coffeeshops in Amsterdam. First of all, I'm guessing there are as many coffeeshops there as there are pubs here in Dublin. Each little section of the city has a street or two that have many coffeeshops, smart shops (for herbal and other naturally grown substances), and brown cafes (pubs). And then there are many other little known shops scattered throughout in the nooks and crannies. They range from multilevel shops with pool tables, tvs, house music, internet, etc... to really small shops with a a table or two or just a bar. For example, this last stay in Amsterdam we visited the shop within 10 steps of our place, called Betty Boop Cafe (Tell Robin at pierside we'll have pics for her!). There was only a bar, with maybe 8 stools, and a table or two. The decor was simple, low multicolored lights, with some Betty Boop stuff, house music in the background. Each place has a menu which you have to ask to see. Normally there are various products listed price per gram, you can ask to see samples or for recommendations, pretty similar to ordering a beer or whatever in a bar. There are papers and filters available to use and you can hang out and have a drink or stock up and head out. \hanging out is always interesting because of the wide variety of characters that you may meet. For instance, in the BBCafe, the bartender was a native Amsterdam dude, about jr's age who looked like he'd be at home in southern california, complete with palm tree t-thirt and long hair. The guy down the bar, probably 45-50 was perfectly manicured, dressed in a wool sweater, no doubt argyle socks, was from Connecticut, most likely gay (not that there's anything wrong with that!) After a while, some young kids from australia or england without id came in and tried to order space cakes (little debbies made with thc butter!) and were sent packing. Then a young guy, probably 21 or so, with corn rows came and sat next to us. Quite a mix of characters, especially when you take into count all of the other coffeshops we went to, like the EasyTimes Cafe, where the smoke was so thick we could barely see the one table of Rastamen in the back playing dice. We hung out there and bought a reggae cd from some random guy at the bar(such suckers!) Or the Rockery, more bohemian style, with Indian decor, tapestries, thumping trance music, etc.. or the Mellow Yellow, a small place where we had coffee (really) and sara kicked my ass in foosball for the XXth time in a row! So anyways, there a rundown on the coffeshops. I must say it was pretty nice to be assured of the quality and price and to have a place to chill and chat. For all of the drug use, and the infamous red light district, in Amsterdam, from what i read, the crime rate and drug use rates are much lower than the us. And its a clean city for the most part. Surprising. Blah, blah blah. sorry to ramble, we're off to the pubs.
jandsara

Advertisement



4th June 2006

Thanks
Great commentary on the coffee (head shops) shops of Europe. I've heard an awful lot about them from friends of mine that have traveled Europe. I have to say that your commentary was the most detailed and informative description of them that I have ever heard. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that they sold anything other than coffee :>) Eventhough you two had a great time, All of us will be really glad when you two are back in the U.S. and closer to home. We can't wait to see and talk to the "world travelers" in person. You two have done what a lot of us would like to do and are now getting to old to even think about doing. Cudos and Props to the both of you. Ed
5th June 2006

What I do not know...
Space cakes? Are those anything like fruit loops? Love, DAD

Tot: 0.261s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb