Dublin!!!! Feels good to be home =)


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
January 22nd 2009
Published: February 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

So we sadly packed up our bags and left our hostel in Kensington and headed for the airport to take our flight to my home away from home, Dublin!

Our flight only took 50mins from London to Dublin. We started our descent in to Dublin and looking out over the country was awesome. It was all green pasture and farming lands at first which looked pretty beautiful.

We landed and once again I cruised through customs which a nod and a smile from the officers. Bee on the other hand got held up behind a woman and her young child talking their way into the country and then managed to jump onto the slowest possible line. By the time she spoke to the customs officer and convinced him she wasnt some crazy person who was going to stay there illegally she was the last person on the entire flight to get through.... I love having a Euro passport!!!

After getting out of the airport we jumped on a bus and started heading towards Dublin city. The problem with buses in a country you dont know is that you have no idea where the hell you are for most of the trip! Luckily for us we had a friendly bus driver who even after the hour trip during which he picked up and dropped off over 50 other people remembered our stop and let us know we were at Camden St.

We got to our hostel and while we were checking in I think the person working there only charged us for one person instead of two =). Once we got into our room though it wasnt the most impressive living space i've ever been in. It has a bunk bed so me and bee get to sleep seperatly on a bed that is really really squeaky and nosiy everytime we move during the night and the room itself is about the size of handicap toliet.

Our first day was spent exploring the city and visitng O'Connel St (Main St in dublin). After walking around for about an hr and realising that Dublin could possibly be the most expensive city on the face of the earth (Things are about double the price of London) we tried to find some lunch but ended up giving up and going to the supermarket to buy food to make ourselves. Prices
Really big Spire!!!Really big Spire!!!Really big Spire!!!

Yeah its huge!
of food varied from Macca's and Burger king which is around 7 or 8 Euro for a meal (Thats $16 for Macca's!) to 15 to 20 Euro in other places ($40 for lunch, are you kidding me!!!!). Unfournately for me I realised alcohol is also really expensive. For a 6 pack of becks which I paid 3 pound for in london it is 11 Euro here!

Our day ended with us walking 20mins back to our hostel in the rain. Surprise Surprise its rained a lot since we have been here!

Last night I caught up with a good friend of mine who has been here for the past 4 months! Pete is as always a lot of fun to be around and always provides entertainment. Oh and he is a huge Norwegien and looks like a viking! It was great to see a familiar face.

Overall Dublin has been good. We have spent a lof our time catching up on sleep and relaxing. We have 6 weeks here so we dont have to rush around as much as we did in London. Tomorrow we go stay with my family for the rest of the time we
Thats a huge suitcase!Thats a huge suitcase!Thats a huge suitcase!

Seriosuly bee could live in that bag...
are here which will save us a lot of money!!!!

I was going to include some interesting history of Ireland in this blog but I have already rambled on for long enough so maybe next time =)

Bee: I think I'm getting sick. IT'S FREAKIN' cold. Shame about all the singlets and short shorts I packed. I actually have lots to say so I'm going to write my own blog. See ya!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Stonrs BistroStonrs Bistro
Stonrs Bistro

Haha bistro for Stonrs
Really big Teddy bear!Really big Teddy bear!
Really big Teddy bear!

What the hell is with all the really big stuff in Dublin????
Cheap German beer!Cheap German beer!
Cheap German beer!

Only 3 Euro from Aldi! I guess I'll be drinking this for the next 6 weeks =)
Irish FlagIrish Flag
Irish Flag

Just in case you didnt know it!


Tot: 0.282s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb