Guinness, Lepricornes & Irish Jigs


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
June 9th 2008
Published: June 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Spire of DublinThe Spire of DublinThe Spire of Dublin

"the monument of light" is a large pin-like monument 120 metres in height and is located on the site of the former Nelson Pillar on O'Connell Street in the Irish capital of Dublin.
My cousin Daniel came to visit me in London and we decided to take a couple of little weekend mini-breaks away. Our first weekend away was to Ireland (Dublin) and we had such a great time!!

It may have taken us a good hour and a half of aimlessly walking the streets to try and find our hostel, but it was totally worth it to be able to experience Guinness in Ireland!!

And yes, I did spend most of my time wondering where the lepricorns lived and where I could find one (or catch one), but I also got to experience a cute little country that very patriotic and green.

Up early Saturday morning to board a coach for a trip around the land. It was a full day drive, and I am guilty for falling asleep for some of the tour...our bus also broke down half way and we spent a good hour waiting for a new one to come and save us...

Our first stop on our drive was Blessington Lakes...now i must admit...that other than Dublin...I knew nothing of Ireland...and it was such a beautiful place!! The Blessington Lakes were created artificially in the
Blessington Lakes - IrelandBlessington Lakes - IrelandBlessington Lakes - Ireland

This was the site of an old Monk house & church. The tower was used during times of vikings.
1940s by the damming of the river Liffey to create a reservoir for the supply of water for the city of Dublin.

The sun was shining again and we headed off towards Wicklow Gap, which is basically a gap in the mountains in which people can get through from the East side of Ireland to the West.

Our next stop was Glendalough and then Avoca. Avoca was a cute little village that looked as though it hadn’t changed in 100 years. We ate the best fish & chips in the world wrapped in newspaper, and watched a man weave handspun cotton into fabric. Of course Avoca is known for its hand weavers and it has also been used in a BBC miniseries and films.

We arrived back in Dublin very late at night and very tired. Although, our day didn’t end here! For dinner we treated ourselves to steak & Guinness pie, Guinness and live Irish dancing and music at a little local restaurant. After dinner we explored the many many Irish pubs in Dublin (there are over 1000 in total)...and it certainly felt as though Ireland celebrated St. Patrick’s day every day of the year.

Sunday was a little more relaxed and involved a lot more drinking! Our first stop was the Guinness Brewery & museum with free samples 😊 followed by a stop at the Jameson Whisky Brewery...again with free samples!

Feeling a little bit sozzled and a little bit more educated in the fine process of liquor making, we headed back to the hostel so as I could catch my late Sunday flight back to London.






Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

The River LiffeyThe River Liffey
The River Liffey

divides the city into Northside and Southside.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb