St Patrick’s


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
May 13th 2023
Published: May 21st 2023
Edit Blog Post

The suitcases were getting rather full so we got a wine case from the neighborhood wine shop, filled it with souvenirs and some clothes we weren't going to wear, took it to the post office bright and early, and mailed it home. Who knows when we'll see it!

We walked down the road a few shop fronts to Fothergill's Cafe for breakfast. Lovely little place, great breakfast. St. Patrick's and maybe a distillery was on our list for the day. We got a taxi in to the Cathedral but there was a funeral and it was closed until 1 p.m. So, we got back on the Hop On Hop Off bus from yesterday and rode around, getting back to St. Patrick's just after the funeral ended! We visited/toured around and headed back to the unit for a rest. Again, wandered around Rathmines and had a great dinner at Rody Bolands restaurant. It was packed with folks watching the rugby, a 70th birthday party, a bunch of families after the local First Communion celebration, and it was fun.

One of the things we've noticed is how much easier ordering and paying for meals, drinks, etc., is here because the servers
Isle of Man symbolIsle of Man symbolIsle of Man symbol

we weren't in the Isle of Man but Mike mentioned we would be going there
are NOT dependent upon tips. They are not possessive of you as a customer; each server is only interested in making sure you have what you want/need. You ask one person for a beer, and another brings it. Same with the meal. When you're done and ready to leave, you ask anyone for the bill; they bring a portable machine, you tap your card and leave. No rush after eating to leave. Of course, you can tip more if you wish but the whole thing was so much easier. If you just go in, sit at the bar and get a couple beers, you just pay for them, no worrying about figuring in a tip, etc. Also, the machines work beautifully: tap and go!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Long viewLong view
Long view

I'm pretty sure we have this same shot from our visit 6 years ago. Some things really don't change!
Tree of RemembranceTree of Remembrance
Tree of Remembrance

In the Cathedral, this barren tree seeks to remember all those who have been affected by conflict, anywhere in the world.
OutsideOutside
Outside

The Guiness who paid to have the Cathedral renovated


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 7; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0644s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb