Ireland: Dublin & Cliffs of Moher


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin » Clonskeagh
May 5th 2014
Published: May 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Inside Trinity CollegeInside Trinity CollegeInside Trinity College

Sign in English & Irish
After working through the Bank Holidays of April, I spent my well-deserved long weekend in Dublin. I always wanted to visit Ireland - because of the endless green lands, the crystal clear creeks and the black-legged and black-headed sheep which piss into the creeks... I've never been to Ireland but it's well-known that you can develop deep emotional bonds towards something without ever seeing it in person. The traces of the Celtic-Viking culture, the countryside and the simplified life worshiping mother-nature... they're all close to my dream world.

Idealizing all this: I love that they believe in fairies, leprechauns, sacred stones, trees, grass... as a realist I would say that they cannot live without booze and fibs. It doesn't matter if it's a small, big or orbital lie. The point is to trick you and let you believe that the things they say are true - even when your mind is clearly telling you it is not. This is how our bus driver managed to fool all of the 45 people on the coach at 7 in the morning by telling us to have our passports ready as it will be checked soon. Yes, your mind is probably telling you not to be stupid, you're not entering to another country, you don't need that passport. It took half a minute to panic us all on the coach then he made an evil, leprechaun-like laugh... I've never heard a leprechaun laughing but it definitely sounds like how he laughed. This leprechaun-man also taught us that Irish people does not say "fuck", the say "feck". If you guys want to show off, just change your accents to Irish and feck it all.



So I spent Saturday wandering around by myself in Dublin and I discovered with a regret that it is not going to be one of my favorite cities. I liked what I saw - no problem with that. But the whole city does not have a character for me. All I saw were pubs and the places I've visited were fantastic and entertaining by themselves but I just can't explain it: somehow they never come together for me as a whole.

I loved the Long Room of Trinity College, the exhibition on the Book of Kells was a pleasant surprise, I was deeply impressed by it. The Christchurch Cathedral was my first time experiencing that the
Long roomLong roomLong room

Old Library
floor of a church can be much more interesting than the ceiling and the rest of the decoration. Dublin Castle was fine, its Garden was more appealing. Kilmanhaim Gaol (prison in Dublin) was definitely worth visiting and the same goes to the Guinness Storehouse with its complimentary pint of the black stuff, but still... something mysterious was missing from my journey in Dublin.
Something that I got the next day when I left the capital of the Republic and participated in a day trip to the Cliffs of Moher. That became one of the greatest experiences I've ever come across.

I do love the Irish people though - I think it's impossible not to like them. I had two taxi drivers telling me about the fabulous Puskás (first name: Ferenc - Hungarian football player from the 1950s) and how he is known as the best white football player who's ever lived. I listened to them carefully and when they asked me (a 23-year-old girl) whether I follow football... well, I was tempted to reply that I cannot enjoy watching a game where about two dozen men run after a single ball someone kicked across the field. I kept my opinion to myself and simply admitted that I know as much about football or soccer as I know about open heart-surgery.

Irish people are very talkative, hilarious and always ready to cheer you up. They always have a pick-up line or a compliment hidden somewhere in their pocket and they do believe Guinness to be the best beer ever invented. Alongside with me.

They sing a lot - even if they don't have a good voice. But to be honest their songs sound awesome even when they hit the wrong pitch. Or maybe their songs are so good because everyone can sing them whether they have a good voice or not.

Personally I could talk and write hours about the Irish scenery and about that one day I spent outside of Dublin. I longed for the untouched and sacred nature they have in Ireland. We've driven across the Burren which is said to be very similar to the landscape of the Moon. Edmund Ludlow who was lieutenant-general of horse to the infamous Oliver Cromwell (who's deeply hated in Ireland) in the 1600's said the following about the County of Clare and the limestone field of that area:

It is a country where there is not enough water to drown a man, wood enough to hang one, nor earth enough to bury him.


What I saw on Sunday on this day trip made me realize how can people believe in fairies, leprechauns and other magical creatures and tales. It's said to be having serious consequences if you break off a branch of a (sacred?) tree or if you remove a stone from it's original, natural place, etc... the fairies are everything but cute beings when it comes to taking revenge in the name of mother-nature.

The baby cliffs and the actual Cliffs of Moher which ribbons along the Atlantic shore 8 kilometers long - they both were mesmerizing and literally breathtaking experiences.
I was lucky enough to get to know a Brazilian fellow traveler on this day trip and we unofficially agreed on taking pictures of each other and keeping each others company during the day. This is the only reason I am on the pictures as well as usually I prefer to take pictures of the scenery only.

The rumble of the ocean below makes you forget every worry you carried there, every disturbing thought you had until then. It didn't make me jump though, so I won over nature's call this time. It would have been a noble and majestic death. I'm not encouraging you to commit suicide which would be pretty impossible there IF you follow the instructions of our driver and every sign there: saying NOT to go across the stone-fence. Basically, you'd better stay home and Google the Cliffs of Moher if you don't dare to go across the stone-fence as you would see absolutely freaking NOTHING behind that safe line.

It was a bit scary though to think how easy it would be to kill anyone there at the Cliffs. I mean you could never know which tourist suddenly turns into a psychopath by only seeing the opportunity in the whole situation...



Our driver who was also our guide on this day was absolutely amazing and definitely had an average or below average voice for singing. He sang anyways. And we loved it. Search for Molly Malone, Galway Girl and Belle of Belfast City on Youtube - they are all good Irish songs and were also sung by our driver. I guarantee that you'll fall in love with at least one of those songs.



I hope you all enjoy the pictures as there is about 76 of them. I risked my life and safety taking every single one of them. I'm also becoming better and better at lying.



MAGYARUL - IN HUNGARIAN



Egy ünnepnapokat átdolgozott április után a megérdemelt májusi hosszú hétvégék egyikét Dublinban töltöttem. Régóta vágytam Írországba – a végtelen zöld táj, a kristálytiszta patakok és az abba pisáló fekete lábú-fejú birkák miatt, többek között. Sose jártam Írországban, de közismert, hogy látatlanban is lehet érzelmileg kötődni, rajongani valami iránt. A kelta-viking kultúra nyomai, a vidékies, letisztult élet, a természet-közeli hagyományok mind-mind nagyon közel állnak az álomvilágomhoz.

Idealizálva: itt hisznek a tündérekben, az erdei, mezei koboldokban, a szent sziklákban… Realistaként pedig azt mondanám, hogy az írek lételeme a füllentés. Kicsi, nagy, orbitális… nem számít. A lényeg, hogy becsaljon a csapdába és elhitesse veled, hogy amit mond, az igaz – még akkor is ha minden ellene szól. Így tudott az ír buszsofőrünk megszívatni 45 embert vasárnap reggel 7-kor, mikor sikeresen elhitette velünk, hogy hoznunk kellett volna az útlevelünket az egy napos kirándulásra, ugyanis tíz perc és ellenőrzésen esünk át. Igen, bizony: az agyad ilyenkor jelez: ne légy hülye, nem lépsz át határt, nem kell útlevél. Pár perc leforgása alatt teremtett pánikot a buszon, majd ördögien (gonosz, ír-koboldosan) röhögött a sok barom turistán.



Tehát, a szombatomat egyedül töltöttem Dublinban, bóklásztam mindenfelé és szomorúan vettem tudomásul, hogy bár tetszett, amit láttam – Dublin nem nyűgöz le. Hiányzik belőle a karakter. Számomra nem volt több egy bohém, kissé kusza angolszász városnál. A látnivalói egyenként mind tökéletesek és jól szervezettek: jártam a Trinity College-ben, láttam a Book of Kells-t (Kells könyve?), bementem a Christchurch templomba, a Kilmanhaim börtönbe és a Guinness sörfőzdébe. Mind kivételes élmény volt és nagyon élveztem.

Dublin utcái kocsmákkal/pubokkal tarkított, színes és hangulatos – de valahogy nem eléggé.



A benne élő emberek azonban annál érdekesebbek és szimpatikusabbak. Imádtam az ír akcentust és a stílusukat. Kissé -o betűsen beszélnek (Dublin (dáblin) = Doblin, up (áp - fel) = op).

Kétszer ültem taxiban, mindkétszer idős ír sofőröm volt, akik mindketten nagyon beszédesek és közvetlenek voltak. Mindketten kiselőadást tartottak és istenítették Puskást és szomorúan vették tudomásul, hogy a valaha élt legnagyobb "sápadt arcú" focista honfitársát – engem – a legkevésbé sem mozgat meg a foci. Kényszert éreztem, hogy megosszam velük a véleményemet a világ legnépszerűbb sportjáról, avagy a kételyemet, hogy ugyan mi olyan élvezetes abban, hogy valaki elrúg egy labdát és majd' két tucat ember szalad utána. Visszafogtam a közléskényszeremet, a békesség érdekében.

Az írek tehát tüneményesek, humorosak és állandóan vicces kedvükben vannak. Mindig készen állnak felcsípni valakit és velem egyetemben bőszen állítják, hogy a Guinness óta jobb sört nem találtak fel. Sokat énekelnek, és a dalaik még akkor is hangulatosak és jól hangzanak, ha az énekesnek nincs a legjobb hangja. Talán nem is kell jó hang a dalaikhoz – ez teszi őket annyira élvezhetővé: bárki énekelheti. Csak keressetek rá a Youtube-on ezekre: Whiskey in the Jar, Galway Girl, Belle of Belfast City és Molly Malone. Ők "ivós" daloknak hívják ezeket a számokat és garantálom, hogy rögtön megszeretitek legalább az egyik számot.



Én speciel ódákat tudnék zengeni a tájról, ami egy borús vasárnapon tárult a szemem elé. Elnézve a moheri sziklákat, a teheneket, lovakat, bokrokat, patakokat… egyszerűen megérti az ember, miért hisznek itt a tündérekben, miért tartanak a tündérektől és a koboldoktól (a természet legkisebb károsítása – faág letörése – is súlyos kobold/tündér-következményekkel jár).

Apró ír falvak és a Galway-öböl mentén haladtunk el. A Burren azaz a Sziklaföld végeláthatatlan mészkőföldeket takar. Oliver Cromwell az angol parlament nevében hódította vissza Írország javát a helyiek földjének elvételével és mészárlások hadával. Az írek egyik legsúlyosabb szitkozódása közé tartozik, ha a "cromwell-i átkot" kívánják neked.

Cromwell egyik jobb keze, Edmund Ludlow a következőt állapította meg Írország ezen részéről, a mészkőfedte Burren-ről:

Ezen a vidéken nincs elég víz, hogy megfullaszthass egy embert; nincs elég fa, hogy felakaszthasd, sem elegendő föld, hogy eltemethesd.



A fő attrakció, Moher sziklái 8 km-en át kanyarognak az Atlanti-ócean mentén és a mind a mini változata (baby cliffs a képeken), mind az igazi nagy sziklák lenyűgöző látványt nyújtanak.

Konkrétan az ember lélegzete is eláll, mikor meglátja. Hallani, ahogy odalent a hullámok ostromolják a hatalmas sziklákat és az ember gondolatai elkalandoznak. Nekem szerencsére nem jutott eszembe leugrani, pedig ijesztően könnyű lett volna bárkit lelökni. És sosem tudhatod, hogy melyik turistából bújik elő hirtelen a pszichopata a látvány hatására.

Szerencsémre, összebarátkoztam egy brazil sráccal a buszon, aki még az egyik templom-romnál kérte, hogy fényképezzem le, majd később a mini szikláknál bocsánatot kért, amiért ott nem kérdezte meg, én akarok-e fényképet magamról. Végül néma egyezséget kötöttünk, hogy egymás hasznára leszünk azzal, ha kölcsönösen fényképezzük a másikat a szebbnél szebb tájak előtt. Emellett, örültem, hogy van társaságom, akihez lehet beszélni, így az út további részét együtt töltöttük - leszámítva a buszutat, ahol mindketten ragaszkodtunk az ablak melletti ülőhelyünkhöz, hogy a legjobb látványban lehessen részünk.

A rokonság csakis neki köszönheti, hogy le lettem fényképezve ezen a gyönyörű tájon.



A sziklákat egy kőfal mögül lehet legálisan megtekinteni. Amennyiben az ember ragaszkodik a szabályokhoz - ami sosem jó -, ez esetben javaslom, hogy az otthon melegében keressünk rá a moheri sziklákra a Google képei között. Ugyanis lószart se lehetett volna látni az überbiztonságos kőfalak mögül. A falon túl meg azért nem volt olyan keskeny az út, hogy ne lehessen biztonságosan fantasztikus képeket csinálni.



Remélem, tetszenek a képek, mind a 76 plusz a 3 panorámakép. Az életemet kockáztattam minden egyes kép készítésekor. És napról napra jobban hazudok.


Additional photos below
Photos: 76, Displayed: 31


Advertisement

Christchurch CathedralChristchurch Cathedral
Christchurch Cathedral

The first church where you should look down more often then up


12th May 2014
Long room

Ireland
We spent March traveling around Ireland and had a fantastic time. What a great country. Really enjoyed reading your blog.
13th May 2014
Long room

Ireland
I really wish to go back to see more of the countryside...! Thank you for the comment, it's nice to know that someone is actually reading it apart from the family. :)

Tot: 0.315s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb