Beautiful Ireland


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin » Ballsbridge
August 18th 2011
Published: August 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Dublin 1Dublin 1Dublin 1

Grafton and St. Stephens
Dublin is a beautiful city that has blossomed with the advent of the Celtic Tiger. Vibrant and cosmopolitan, it's a fantastic place to sight see, eat, drink, shop, drink, soak up the culture, drink, eat, drink, tour, drink, see the Guinness Brewery, see the Jameson Distillery, people watch, drink, and just generally have a good time, and drink. We were fortunate enough to be in Dublin during the 3 days in 2011 that it didn't rain, and some blue sky was actually visible. Great museums, galleries, churches, historical sites, pubs, restaurants, hotels, shops, and people. Unfortunately, Ireland is going through some tough economic times, as is the rest of the world, but as history has shown, the Irish are a resilient people, and this is just one more crisis that will be overcome. We rented a car and left Dublin to start our journey through the rest of the country. Unfortunately, an hour outside Dublin, the piece of crap Opel Astra broke down, and we were stranded on a 2 lane highway in a bad spot. With an extreme stroke of good fortune, a nice Irish fellow who happens to run a cycling tour company, stopped to ask if we were okay, and took the time to wait with us while a tow truck hauled the vehicle away. He then drove us to the next town and took us grocery shopping, then gave us a little tour of the town, then took us to the train station so we could proceed to our next destination. What a great guy! (See photos). It's still uncertain as to what's happening with the car, but one thing is for sure...I'm gonna get SCREWED on the deal. We're now in Waterford, and we'll see if they send us a replacement car. I'll keep you posted on the outcome. In the meantime, we made it to Waterford by train, and had an amazing dinner at a pub called Geoff's which was recommended to us by our roadside rescuer.
Off to Waterford Crystal tomorrow. Time will tell if we make it out of this town tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Mansion HouseMansion House
Mansion House

Mayor's Residence


19th August 2011
Car Trouble 2

What does AA stand for....
AA?? Does Alcoholics Anonymous deliver in Ireland?
21st August 2011
Dublin 3

What a colourful city! Even more so, I'll wager, when you've tipped back a pint or two
23rd August 2011
Since 1759

Lifestyles of the poor and annonymous
Nirvana... if you're Homer Simpson
23rd August 2011
Guinness 1

Sink the Black
Guiness is good for you... just bad for your liver
23rd August 2011
Guinness 3

Is this before or after the free samples got passed around? p.s. I hear they're makin' the stuff over in China now
23rd August 2011
Trinity College

Entrance exam is a bitch
Kyle actually asked someone if he could apply to study here... The answer was "no problem... as long as you can speak gaelic".

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb