gone and away


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Donegal » Donegal
September 30th 2007
Published: September 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

well hello!

Patri and I just got home, we left early yesterday morning with pablo, claudia and jorge for Donegal. I now know that brazilians speak portugese, not spanish or... brazilian. This is good! And it was neat, hearing the two languages (spanish and portugese), because theyre so alike but at the same time, not.

Donegal is in the northern area of the republic of ireland, and we managed to go through north ireland (the UK) for about an hour. we had a pub lunch in elliskenny. Or.. some town of a name like that, haha! So many of the names here are of very very bizarre spelling, and even harder to pronounce. its madness.

I´ve been meaning to write since last sunday, when me & whitney from work went on a day tour to the hill of tara and boyne valley. We saw a lot of old churches and castles, and went in a tomb. One old church structure we went to was really cool, it was a monastery then the family that oversaw the nearby town lived there (so one part was their dining area) and then they gambled away the door to their dining room, (which now may or may not be in new york) and then they lost posession of the land and eventually the same dining room was turned in to a barn for the pigs.
We had great fun, chasing sheep and climbing rocks and such.

Back to donegal.. we stayed in a great hostel, very relaxed. run by an elderly couple in the country, big house, we walked in and couldnt find anyone, then finally the man came and showed us our room, didnt ask for money or anything and then this morning we just left money on the table with a note because we couldnt find them again! but they were really sweet and last night made a fire for us (we had gotten into a rowdy game of monopoly, haha)

very important: did you know that monopoly is based on an actual city?! i had no idea!! the board game we played on was all dublin streets! it was crazy!! and they have madrid streets for the spanish one! but i dont know at all what city our board is... id assume an american city. if anyone knows, please please tell me, haha.

Today we drove to the highest sea cliffs in europe.. 600 metres tall. It was unreal! Very exciting driving up there, and then walking further up. unfortunately it was really foggy and rainy earlier today, even worse was taht none of us had bothered to bring umbrellas or raincoats. So then i mustered up all my class and bought bin bags for raincoats, and a few 3euro umbrellas, that flipped inside out at the slightest wind.

Anyway, im beat. take care of yourselves!!


Advertisement



1st October 2007

Ed's says it's based on New York. Happy Birthday!!!
1st October 2007

agh
thats what i would have guessed. Bollocks. Why not a canadian city?! thanks eddd!
3rd October 2007

SO JEALOUS!!!
Libby, It sound like you are having a totally amazing time!!!! Are you taking crazy amounts of pictures....because you should!!! I'm glad to hear that you are doing well and are being just as libbyish as always!!! Can't wait to read more. Love ya

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0825s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb