Day Trip to Kinsale


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork » Kinsale
February 7th 2009
Published: February 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Carson, Kyle, Mark, and I took a early bus today to a nearby coastal city, Kinsale. It was a great time, the best part about it all was the weather. There wasn't a cloud in the sky for most of the afternoon which made the scenery amazing. We first tried to rent bikes, but since it is winter here, they were closed until it warms up(40 degrees and we can't rent bikes?). We first stopped at the national church of Ireland, a small landmark in this touristy town. It was pretty and had many gravestones around it, but it wasn't anything special. We talked to some local about going to the most famous landmark: Fort Charles. We opted to walk and it was an excellent choice. It was a very hilly hour walk to the fort, but the views from the tops of those hills over looking the ocean and the other parts of the city were incredible. We also met a dog who followed us a long long way and we actually ran into him on the way back.
The fort was pretty cool, the history behind it was interesting. Briefly: it was built to protect the coast line, British
Kyle and I holding down part of the FortKyle and I holding down part of the FortKyle and I holding down part of the Fort

Yes, we are definitely holding invisible guns.
controlled, and was party burnt down during the Irish Civil war. The fort itself was beautiful and we enjoyed walking the higher parts and looking over the ocean. After a good 80 minutes there we trekked back to the city and found a famous sea food restaurant to eat at called Fishy Fishy. It was the first time I've really had a sit down restaurant meal since I've been here and it was great. After we just barely made the bus and headed home just in time to watch the Ireland v. France Six Nations rugby match. Ireland won of course.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb