Corker


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork » Cork
August 5th 2006
Published: August 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Jared and Danny had a game of cricket down in Cork on the Saturday and as it was a long weekend we decided to make the most of it and head down there for three days. We set off from Dublin about 7am anticipating a long, slow ride with the rest of dublin also deciding to get out of the city for the weekend (just like Auckland on a public holiday). We managed to have a pretty easy journey apart from passing a car crash and arrived with plenty of time to spare. Saturday was a beautiful day weather wise, unfortunately the boys lost the cricket in the last over and I was stuck at the cricket ground all day.

Sunday we woke to the now increasingly familiar sound of rain and wind (loving this "summer"!), so decided to get out of Cork itself and headed about half an hour out of town to a little fishing village called Kinsale. Kinsale was very similar to Akaroa in feel. We wandered around here for a while, watched a bit of hurling in the pub with the locals before later heading back to Cork for a meal and a few drinks.

Monday we had a bit of a nosey round Cork city before bording the bus for the 4 hour bus ride back to Dublin.

As Lansdowne Road is closing for renovations and we are unlikely to get to a rugby game there we thought we best take up the opportunity to watch some football (soccer). We rocked along to watch the Ireland vs Holland friendly with the other 42000 fans, half in h terrraces with us i am sure. The game wasn't the best if you were supporting the Irish (they lost 4-0) but we managed to end up standing near all the Dutch fans and so it was a great atmosphere with constant singing accompanied by the thumping of a great big drum they had brought in with them.

We have our first trip out of the UK/Ireland booked, so the countdown is on (for Anna anyway) until mid-September when we are going to Nantes and then onto Paris for a four day weekend.

We are also moving flats in the next couple of days so will post some pics of our new abode in the next week or two


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb