Meg's Birthday Week!


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork » Cork
February 25th 2009
Published: February 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well, it was a few days anyways 😊

So the week after London was a complete blurr to me. I slept the entire first day after and I think I was just "off" the whole week.

I finally got back to normal towards the end of the week and we decided to take a little “day trip” on Saturday…aka Single Awareness Day. We went to Cobh aka Queenstown aka Cove to check out where Titanic made its last stop. It was a cute little town but hardly anything was open. They had some pretty colored houses though (pictures are up on flickr!) and we had a somewhat cloudy day, so maybe that’s why I didn’t enjoy it as much. On the way back, we were told that there was a cool animal park with cheetahs and what not so we wanted to check it out, of course. We hopped off the train (no worries, it stopped first) and walked to FOTA…I forget what it stands for but there are a bunch of really cool animals that you wouldn’t expect to see in Ireland. Unfortunately, it closed about a half hour before we got there, but Brianne wanted to get in…NO MATTER WHAT! So, basically, she hopped the fence, Kristina followed (Meg and I were trying to find some garden while all of this was taking place) and they got some blurry pictures of ducks and monkeys. Just as they were about to get the lemurs the ranger pulled up and told them the park was closed. He then GAVE THEM A RIDE back to the gate that they just hopped! Once we got back to Cork, we made some dinner and watched American Pie and Love Actually and then sang Happy Birthday to Meg at midnight!

Sunday morning, aka Meg’s 20th Birthday, we went to the Old Oak (pub) around 3pm to watch the rugby game (Ireland vs. Italy). It was so much fun with everyone cheering around us, and I finally learned quite a bit about rugby 😊 After the game, we were quite hungry so we ate at “Il Padrino”, a pretty fancy Italian restaurant, in our American Eagle jeans (no big deal). The dinner was AWESOME and so worth the extra $$. After dinner (and dessert, of course!) we had to kill some time before we went to the cinema to see “He’s Just Not That Into You”. We wandered around the cinema area and discovered this bridge that was lit along the sides BUT when you walked across it, the lights turned off behind you. Considering we are all easily amused, we walked, skipped, and ran across that bridge countless times. Before we knew it, it was time for the movie! I thought it was really cute so go see it 😊

On Monday, Brianne and I went to Tesco to get ingredients for Meg’s Birthday Cake that her mama always makes her (Thanks again for the recipe Mrs. Hastie!). Of course, with our luck, Meg was at TESCO with some of our friends while we were trying to shop for ingredients!!! As we shopped, I covered our purchases up with my coat because everywhere we turned, Meg was there! It all worked out and we managed to get out of there without her realizing that we were going to bake her a cake. Unfortunately, the icing recipe didn’t work out for me and I had to think quick…so I bought 4 Cadbury chocolate bars, melted them, and poured them on top for icing! It actually turned out to be delish (although it didn’t look the greatest since we forgot to grease the pans, oops) and Meg loved it…yay! We also had Physiology for the first time and the professor reads straight from the powerpoints—bummer. He also pronounces skeletal as “ski-lee-tle” and pronounces other words quite strangely.

On Tuesday, we celebrated Meg’s bday since she wasn’t sick anymore. We went to the Bailey, which usually is a good time but was pretty quiet, and then the Wash for some karaoke, and then Club Classic which was free and a lot of fun!

On Wednesday, we planned our trip for our month off (April). We leave April 5th and come back May 1st. During that time, we are going from Cork (transfer in London) to Athens to Santorini back to Athens to Rome to Florence to Venice (on my bday!) to the French Riviera to Barcelona to Paris and back to Shannon and then Cork! We booked the flights but we still have to buy our Eurail pass and book our hostels 😊

On Thursday (Feb. 19th) we left for Belfast, but I am going to write about that in my next entry!



Advertisement



25th February 2009

shopping
I hadn;t heard about the store!
2nd March 2009

TESCO
Haha yea it was quite the experience to avoid Meg with all of the ingredients :)

Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb