Ballymaloe & Farmgate


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork » Cork
April 26th 2007
Published: April 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We met up for breakfast in the hotel and then started our drive East to go to the Ballymaloe Cookery School, but we kept getting lost along the way. We didn't have an address, so our GPS unit wasn't too helpful. We made a turn a bit too early and had to go around a huge block again in rush hour traffic. Made a second turn too early because the GPS unit seemed to be a bit delayed when updating on our exact position. Then we realized it was sending us in the opposite direction of where we wanted to go, and found that the city we really wanted to go to was Midleton, not Middleton. Who knows where we'd have ended up. Middleton, I guess. I just don't know where exactly that would have been. So we got headed in the right direction and when we got to Midleton, I asked a couple people at a convenience store where the cookery school was, and they drew me a very nice little map complete with round-abouts and landmarks, but in the end they had confused and/or combined a few intersections or forgotten about some other turns we'd need to take, and we were about 40 minutes late. The cookery school was well worth the trouble though. We shot some preparation demonstrations with Rory, one of the owners and chefs, and he took us on a tour of the property as well. It was a really beautiful day, and we kept on wishing that it had been like this in Edinburgh. The highlight of the tour was the "shell house," a small gazeebo-sized building in one of the gardens that contains thousands of shells which line the entire interior walls and ceiling. It was really amazing and had taken about a year to complete. We had lunch along with the students and some other guests who own Green & Black's Chocolates. Lunch was very good, the best item being a lamb dish made in a tagine with couscous. After lunch we had just a little bit of time to shoot the second part of the demos, the grilling portion. Those went pretty well, and then we had to cruise back to Cork to make it to the hotel, park the car, and walk to the English Market, where we shot seafood grilling at the Farmgate Cafe. That went relatively well, but the lighting in the kitchen was really rough. I had a little while to relax at the hotel, and then we got a dinner at Isaac's, a restaurant just across the street that was highly recommended. I had my second shandy (which wasn't as good as the first back in Manchester) and roasted chicken breast with stuffed mushrooms and squash and mashed potatoes (aka chive champ). Dinner was really really good.

Advertisement



27th April 2007

Lost with a GPS??
Why not just follow the nearest sheep? I'm sure that would have lead you to your next meal. I think you might have a drop of wolf blood in you. How did you manage to choke down a chicken breast? You know, I heard MOOSE is good eatin' how about a nice moose burger. Bet that would grill up real nice and tender, slap some BBQ sauce on it. YUMMY. What about camel, have you ever eaten a camel hump roast? I wonder if it makes a good gravy? Just trying to think of the more unattractive animals you could eat. Oh Rhino Ribs, Wart Hog Stew, Yak in Cream Sauce, Poached Possom expand the menu.

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb