Day 7 of Carl & Nanci's Trip to Ireland


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork » Bantry
July 10th 2008
Published: July 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

July 10, 2008

Another great (but long) day in the saddle. We biked the Sheep’s Head Peninsula, on a day full of sunshine, from Bantry along the north coast of the peninsula and back up the south side (for the first time the prevailing wind was at our back). The name was appropriate today as Nanci had a run in with a sheep in the middle of the road. This was the first time we had to load our bikes into the van to go up the mountain. It rose 325 meters in 1.5K, so was a bit steeper than we wanted to attempt. The 10K trip to the end of the peninsula from Kilcrohane was a bit challenging also with the need to walk about 1.5 to 2K to get to the lighthouse at the end of the peninsula, but again the view was well worth it. We stopped in a little village for lunch and the food was excellent. We have stopped in these tiny villages each day and are rewarded with great seafood lunches.

One of the pictures in today’s blog is of a hydrangea bush. We have seen many like this and Nanci is quite jealous (we are happy with two to three flowers). The flowers are beautiful where ever we go, especially the window boxes that are overflowing with color. It is hard to know when to stop and take photos as all of the scenery is so beautiful that you could just keep the camera clicking nonstop.

Carl and Nanci
PS. We included some pictures of our bikes today, to satisfy the "Doubting Thomas" who thought we were on a bus trip.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb