From midges to desolation and back


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
August 21st 2008
Published: August 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Over Lake Myvatn 31 secs
2: At the crater 17 secs
Today was a visit to Lake Myvatn area. A strange place will volcanos in the distance. The immense bird life seemed to be on holiday elsewhere but we can clain on our trip so far to have seen as well as our delightful puffins some..... eider duck, red throated diver and the great northern diver. (Apparently I should have been very pleased to have seen that!)This area has so many diverse volcanic sites in a small area. The lake is the fourth largest in Iceland and probably the most fertile spot on the globe at a similar latitude. It was created after the ice age had ended some 10,000 years ago.However, it only really formed about 3.800 years ago when a lava flow blocked the valley to create a shallow lake.
After a quick look around 'midge' central we drove to reach the base of the volcano and began the gravel walk up to the rim of Hverfjall crater. The wind was cold and strong at the top and yes inside there was more ....gravel and rocks. I must admit it was the most unscenic volcano I had ever been up. We walked around the circumferance and looked over to where Neil Armstrong trained for his moon landings in 1968. Apparently the moon is very similar!The path down was a bit of a shock as it was steep and the ground was sandy gravel. The rope helped us to descend to the 'luna park.' The natural sculptures had been formed through lava cooling at different rates. It certainly was a strange place and easy to lose your way. However, the keen bird watchers soon spotted a shrike and a fieldfare! I should have brought my I spy book from childhood to tick.

We finished the day at the wonderous hotsprings near Lake Myvatn. This was so much better than the over rated Blue Lagoon, (not that we've been there.) The water was wonderful to our aching muscles!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb