Reykjavik - Day 1


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
June 15th 2014
Published: June 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today is my first official day in Iceland as part of the 2014 Snorri Program. We arrived in Iceland around 8:30am GMT (I think that's the time zone Iceland is in... at least that is what it says according to Google), which is 5 hours ahead of North Dakota. The Keflavik International Airport is about 30 minutes from Reykjavik, so we got a short drive to see some of the countryside driving to town. First thoughts on Iceland - it is beautiful, unique country. Not only is the city of Reykjavik stunning with interesting architecture and beautiful views, but the countryside is lovely, and the people are absolutely beautiful! Even the children are strikingly beautiful. I have seen numerous toddlers who would objectively be considered way more stylish than myself.

We immediately checked into the Guesthouse Odinn which is a quaint, family-owned complex located in the Reykjavik City Center and just a short walk from the University of Iceland (where we will be taking classes), and the Nordic Association (where the Snorri Program is headquartered). We ate breakfast which was a dense whole-grain bread, turkey, salami, cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers, cereal with a thick, sour milk, apples, bananas, and oranges, coffee and tea, and took a quick nap. We then left for the Nordic Association for lunch which was similar to breakfast and also included Skyr (thick, delicious Icelandic yogurt - quite similar to Greek), and a spiced cake. We ate lunch while listening to an exciting overview of what we will be doing the next 6-weeks, as well as a glance at our Icelandic geneaology. Crazy fact - I am 4th cousins with Annie Thorisdottir - a CrossFit Games Champion and considered to possibly be the most fit woman on the planet! Who would have guessed?! After the program intro, we took public transportation to a city pool for a couple hour relaxing swim, and then went to a handball game between Iceland and Bosnia. I'd never been to a handball game and it was really awesome and super intense! Ástrós told us that handball is "the" sport in Iceland, and you could tell! There was big time energy and team spirit - the fans were going crazy. Unfortunately, the game ended in a tie and Bosnia had won the previous match by 1 point, so Iceland will not advance to the National Championship.

After the game we went back to the Guesthouse for a light, homemade evening meal of a tomato-based vegetable soup, bread and chips, and an early sleep. Everyone was exhausted from our full day of travel so we all decided tonight would be good for rest to feel reenergized tomorrow. Oh, and because it does not get dark here, it is currently 10:00pm and as bright as if it were the middle of the afternoon. Our sleep rooms are lit with skylights so we need to pull a metal cover over them when it's time for sleep to give some darkness and the feeling of night.

Tomorrow will be our first day of class and also an afternoon at the US Embassy. Looking forward to it.

Until next time. M


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb