Land Of Fire And Ice


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
September 26th 2013
Published: September 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

It was obvious if we'd thought about it.

Obvious.

We chose to come to Iceland in 2013 as its Solar Max (best chance of aurora). We chose to come as near to the autumnal equinox as possible (aurora best around equinox). We chose to come at this time as the Moon is waning and skies will be dark.

However, the average temperature is around 6 degrees.

And what is ice if it is > 0 degrees.

Yes - we've come to WaterLand.

Plane landed at Keflavik Airport (about an hours drive from Reykjavic) around 3:30 yesterday in fog. Couldn't see anything. Hired a car and drove through beautiful dramatic fog to the capital. We saw all sorts of grey. Dark grey. Light grey. Medium grey. Occasionally, there was a clear patch where we could make out a desolate, bleak landscape, before the grey enveloped us again.

Fascinating.

Anyway, arrived at the hotel, checked in and then wandered around Reykjavic downtown for an hour.

And, it's dinky.

Little shops, little bars, little streets (with long names). A lot of the buildings are made out of corrugated iron!! Seems to be the thing. What's more, after an hour, we'd done it!!

Iceland as a total population of 330,000 and about two thirds of them live in Reykjavic. I guess its about the size of Blackpool, with a smaller town centre (about 3 main streets). Very low crime rate (egalitarian society you see, a shining example to us all). Very expensive (two pints of Viking Classic and two glasses of white wine - £30 - youch). That explains why everyone goes to the government run offy instead of the bars (or if they do go to the bars, they seem to be drinking water, perhaps with a bottle of vodka under the table).

Anyway, turns out beer was illegal here until 1989 !! I also understand that Fridays and Saturdays in Reykjavic are wild. People go out "to get trollied". However, drinking during the week is less usual. They say that if you ask for an alcoholic drink outside of Reykjavic during the week, they'll give you one, but they will automatically assume you are alcoholic.

Looks like Hotel Ranga is going to be getting a couple of seasoned British alcoholics for a few days.

There's not lot of smiling
Hallgrímskirkja ChurchHallgrímskirkja ChurchHallgrímskirkja Church

Apologies for the poor anti-aliasing.
either. Having said that, the people are very friendly. Perhaps its the weather (a la the British temperament).

Bit clearer today. Drizzle, but no fog. There are rumours that tomorrow night may be clear, but rest of the forecast is rain. Aurora forecast is low too (but we have seen aurora before with a low forecast). We'll see.

They eat whale and puffin too. Can't bring myself to eat whale, not sure about puffin. Hot dogs are a big thing too apparently. So, we tried one, and it was the best hot dog we've ever had !! Icelandic mustard, crunchy onions. soft bread, nice wiener (thanks very much).

The vibe is great though. Very chilled. We were out today in downtown Reykjavic, capital city of Waterland, and there were only a handful of people about. The occasional steaming geothermal vent (no, not mine).

Anyways, we've booked a whale watching tour tomorrow (added bonus) then off to the sticks. We'll see. We'll see.

Promising start though.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



26th September 2013

Oh dear!
Dare I comment about the lack of....er.....poetry? Or are you having trouble with rhyming grey? Have a great time and don't look at spaceweather.com.....it doesn't look ideal but you never know. X
26th September 2013
Hallgrímskirkja Church

Oh my cod!
27th September 2013

We love Reykjavic
You've captured the essence in your photos.
31st December 2013

Hahaha love your blog so funny!
Going to Iceland in March so getting some ideas of places to stay and stuff to do, your trip sounds perfect how much was your skidooing? Who did ya do it with? Any recommendations of places to stay? That rango hotel looks sweet , kate xx
10th March 2014

Iceland
Hi, Apologies, I hope I haven't missed you (and if I have, you're already there). Hotel Ranga was great (bit pricey though, but then so is Iceland). Out in the middle of nowhere, the stars were fantastic. great place for aurora spotting. You must visit the Blue Lagoon (though you probably know that), and the Golden Circle (Geiser, GullFoss Waterfall and Thingvellir) was mind blowing. You'll need to hire a car though. I have a couple of other blogs on here if you're interested. A world trip - www.mytb.org/on-the-blog and a whale watching trip in the Azores - www.mytb.org/CallMeIshmail (still here actually). I haven't sorted out how to put multiple trips under one URL yet !! Anyway, sorry for the delay, and enjoy Iceland (I know you will). Cheers, Joe

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb