GRAND CIRCLE - PART TWO


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
August 2nd 2011
Published: August 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Iceland is so remote that many things have developed without interaction with other cultures or species. The Icelandic horse, sheep and cattle are the same as when the Vikings brought them over in the 9th century. All animals are free to roam until shearing of slaughter and grow very warms coats in the winter. The horse is smaller than other horse species and has five gates rather than three or four: walk, trot, pace, gallop and throp. Throp is a very smooth pace such that one can ride for hours and not feel tired or ride around a ring with a glass of liquid and not spill a drop. The horses are handsome animals with rich flowing manes and tails, the color of which often contrasts to the coat. Enjoyed watching two young males play fighting, rearing up on their hind legs and striking out with their forelegs.
The Icelandic language is also unique. At one time, Iceland, Norway and Denmark all spoke Old Norse. As the countries in Europe interacted with other languages, German and French for example, Danish and Norwegian changed while isolated Icelandic stayed the same. Today, many Icelanders can read the old sagas, written in Old Norse almost as well as they can read their own language.
Our final stop was an extinct volcanic crater with a crystal clear lake at the bottom; Blue water, red, iron filled lava sides; green vegetation with colorful wild flowers presented a pretty picture.
It was a long but lovely day. I was able to see all the geological sights I wanted and still be back in time for dinner. The Maasdam had arrived just before I left and she was docked bow to stern of the Prinsendam. She will only be it port one day. I’m glad we had the extra time to explore.

Tonight it was Atlantic Char beautifully prepared and cinnamon ice cream. For the first time I went to the show and I was so glad I did. A group of Icelandic singers, actors and dancers presented “Music through the Ages” and I expected a sort of folk review. Instead, after a couple of old Icelandic chants they jumped to the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. I could sing along with most of the songs and their Abba presentation was really, really good.
We sail from Reykjavic at noon tomorrow. I found the country fascinating and would love to spend more time here. I could do a day at the Blue Lagoon alone. Would love to get up close to the glacier, explore more of the geothermal areas, visit more of the towns and villages and sample the food and drink. English is taught in school and anyone who works in the tourist trade speaks it. Some are more fluent than others.
Iceland tidbits: The Icelandic whaling fleet did not sail this summer, as there is no market for whales. Japan is the largest consumer and due to the earthquake demand is down.
Two Russian fishing boats have been in port since last year. They are up for sale. Rumor has it that the owners went bankrupt. Make an offer!
Iceland’s economy is sixty percent fishing, twenty percent tourism, the balance being heavy and light industry. Deloitte and KPMG have large office buildings here.
This year it is expected that 600,000 visitors will come to Iceland, almost twice the Icelandic population. That does not count visitors by cruise ship.
Iceland has a state religion and about 80 percent of the citizens belong. Taxes support the church. The balance is Protestant, Catholic and Muslim but more Icelanders are opting out from organized religion.
Iceland has a graduated income tax, the highest bracket at around 40%. The lowest earners pay little or nothing. There is also a Value Added Tax that affects all consumers.
During the boom, many people emigrated from the former Eastern Block countries. Now, many Icelanders have moved to Canada to get work.
In order to become a citizen, the applicant must be fluent in the Icelandic language, both written and oral. It takes on average two years of study in free classes to become fluent enough to become Icelandic.
Iceland was denuded of trees by the 14th century. Unable to build the Viking boats, Iceland had to depend on trade and soon cam under the domination of first Norway and then Denmark. Full independence came in 1944.
Today, over 7,000,000 trees are planted each year. The Icelandic birch, a shrubby sort of tree, accounts for the overwhelming majority. The rest are mainly conifers.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.524s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.2071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb