Iceland - Land of the midnight sun


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
May 25th 2006
Published: June 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

I really cannot explain how amazing Iceland is so I will be brief and let my photos tell the story (although, the photos do not do it justice would you believe!)

From exploding geysirs to spectacular waterfalls, driving over 1000 year old lava to snow mobiling on a glacier, Iceland has everything... except nightfall as it is light pretty much 24hrs at this time of year. It honestly never really got dark the whole 4 days we were there!

The first day we explored the sights of Reykjavik (all 3 of them!) and managed to get kicked out of a church for no reason other than we were not part of the graduation ceremony! The real fun started though when we picked up our hire cars (4WDs) and departed for a 3 day road trip.

Day Two - we witnessed an exploding Geysir (see photo 9), felt in oar of the spectacular gullfoss (see group photo 5) and explored the iceland country side

Day Three - No ordinary day either. It started with snow mobiling (photo 3) on a glacier, exploring Skodar falls (photos 2 and 7), getting our hire car bogged on a black sand beach and being speechless at the iceberg lake for some (photo 1)

Day Four - We spent the afternoon bathing in the blue lagoon, a geothermal natural spring (see photo 8) and 4W driving over lava. The surface truly looked like we were driving on the moon (see photo 4 which is a shot from our car)

I must make a special mention of the Icelandic nightlife. The locals are crazy btw. Nothing opens until around 1am and I can honestly say dancing away into the early hours of the morning whilst the sun was shining into the bars was one of the strangest experiences I have ever had. See photo 6 of the "sunset" which we took between bars at around 4am.

Despite the cost, Iceland is an absolute must see! Miss you all,

Libx


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0913s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb