Whale watching reykjavik


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
November 1st 2023
Published: January 20th 2024
Edit Blog Post

In reykjavik old harbour the oats for whale watching tours line up all with their own booking offices.
Since 2023 whale hunting is pretty much outlawed only one permit issued and that boat had no plans to hunt a victory for conservationists and animal lovers like myself.
I booked a ticket for the afternoon trip on a cold November day. As soon as the boat left the harbour into faxafloi bay the temp noticeably dropped, fortunately the boat is equipped with plenty of floatation suits ideal for keeping warm.
The views from sea looking back at reykjavik are amazing the city contrasts against the volcanic skyline.
The yoko ono peace light that is seen at night from the sea front of reykjavik is passed on the way out to the bay.
Within 20mins a whale blows in the distance and the boat heads in the general direction.once in the area the boat comes to a stop anticipation grows as we wait fit the whale to surface eyes glaring in all directions till finally we hear the blow and the whale is only metres from the port side. The dorsal fin and back of the humpback whale are in clear view the back arched back the tail flips and dives again. Minutes later it surfaces before taking a deep dive.
In the distance another blow and sighting of a second humpback a truly majestic beast.
The next 30mins or so was spent watching the whales dive and surface a wonderful close up experience.
Heading back to shore a pod of between 12-15 white nosed dolphins put on a show chasing the boat clearing clean out the water.
This was a truly amazing trip which capped off a wonderful time in Icelands capital.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb